Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

Thanks. Always appreciate the thorough replies.

Any more specific thoughts on Markel? Back when I bought individual STONKS, it was one that I identified as a Berkshire-type. I don’t even remember exactly what my research turned up, but whatever it was, I liked it and I bought some. It was doing quite well, but it hasn’t recovered after COVID as well as the rest of the market. I own about 10x more BRK, though.

Actually Biglari was another one I looked into, but it I didn’t like what I saw, so I didn’t buy any of that. I must admit that part of my analysis was due to the fact that Biglari himself seems like kind of a douchebag. I’ve come to realize this is probably not the best way to make such decisions and is one of many reasons why I don’t invest in individual stonks any longer.

Options question for you pros:

So it looks like most of the time when you make money on an option play you just sell the option. But what if you want to exercise the option? How does that look? Let’s say you had 100K call options to by GME at $10. If you want to exercise the option so that you can buy the 100K shares and then turn around and sell them immediately, do you actually have to have $1 million lying around so you can buy them and turn around and sell them? If margin is acceptable, how hard is it to get margin for something like this assuming you’re not approved for that amount already.

I know literally nothing about Markel except that I’ve repeatedly heard it described (by Berkshire Hathaway shareholders) as a cheaper, lower-quality Berkshire Hathaway.

RSU question: I’m set up where shares are taken out to cover taxes upon vesting.

Does that mean I won’t owe any more taxes no matter what? If yes, great. If no, do the following scenarios change possible tax obligations:

A) trade vested stock for an index fund
B) sell vested stock and take the cash

It virtually never makes sense to exercise options before their maturity date - the value of the option will almost always be greater than the option’s “intrinsic value” (i.e., the difference between strike price and current market price).

But if, for some reason, you wanted to exercise early, you’d have to have margin capacity to make that purchase. I suspect that if you called your broker and said what you wanted to do, they’d just settle the options in cash for you without any margin requirement. But I’ve never tried that because, again, it almost never makes sense to exercise early.

Well, it sounds like you get what you pay for.

Although I suppose a lower quality BRK can still be a fine holding.

I’m just gonna hold because I don’t want to take the tax hit.

An RSU is typically just a promise to deliver stock, not actual stock, so the 83b election isn’t available. Just ordinary income on receipt at FMV.

GOAT scene

1 Like

He gets paid to go on TV and spew nonsense about stocks every day. Seems pretty easy to me.

3 Likes

Etsy with an 8.6% pre-market bump from Elon saying “I kinda love Etsy”. WSB has taken notice and given Etsy a :rocket::rocket: rating.

ETA:

Women shop on Etsy. I don’t know if the WSB crowd gets that.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-25/gamestop-short-sellers-reload-bearish-bets-after-6-billion-loss

GameStop stock equal to 139% of its available shares has been borrowed and sold short, a bearish position showing mark-to-market losses of over $6 billion year-to-date, according to data from financial analytics firm S3 Partners. That figure is little changed since last Thursday’s 141% short-interest reading, even though GameStop shares have surged roughly 78% in the past two days alone.

Lol just checked, they now have up to $200 weekly strikes for GME, highest yesterday was $115 I think

1 Like

Alright listen up fellow autists, I was too late yesterday to jump on Blackberry at $18, but when it opens today ima stop being a :rainbow::bear: and ride the BB :rocket: to the moon, who the fuck is with me?? :rocket::rocket::ox::rocket::rocket::rainbow::ox::rocket::rocket:

Edit: goddammit why did this software turn the bull into a fox?
Oh it is a bull, those are horns durr look I didn’t say I was smart, I just get the tendies

11 Likes

I do my own research, man, I’m not dumb. I’m not investing until someone makes a post with at least 13 rockets.

6 Likes

In for 300 shares AMC. Bought premarket. Dump coming!

You guys are making me want to join on for the lols. How much is one share?

EXPR up 10% off in pre-market low in the last 10 minutes LFG.

Now back down 5% from that. Swongs are totally cool, totally legal lol.

About 5 $. I am gambling my Super Bowl prop bet money!

I also have to pay a trade commission though.