Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

For me it’s about having the freedom to do the things I want to do and not do the things I don’t want to do, without having money being the determining factor.

3 Likes

Yeah but probably what I would want to do is start drinking at noon on a Tuesday

2 Likes

You don’t need to retire to do that!

1 Like

Yeah same for me. But 10 years ago I wouldn’t have had a plan with what to do myself (and lots of day-drinking probably would have ensued).

I’ve been self-employed and on a self-directed schedule for over 20 years, so I’ve never had a problem finding things to do. It’s all about creating a set of productive routines (day-drinking not one of them).

But I know plenty of people who spend a lifetime working full-time careers as salaried employees, retire, and are so used to having their days scheduled for them that have no clue what to do with themselves.

Most of them end up going right back to work.

I guess I did it with poker for 3 years and it was fine. The first year though my sleep schedule drifted all over the place. Then I signed up for a boot camp in the mornings that helped anchor my sleep schedule.

The problem is quitting with no other plan, and assuming you’ll love just relaxing all day. That’s the road to neurotic town and stuff like Qanon.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m going to end up doing uncompensated work I find rewarding. I would be happier doing volunteer work for my profession 2 days a week, chip in as a volunteer in the community 2 days per week, and relax 3 days. I agree with the idea that I wouldn’t want to browse Facebook 7 days a week if I didn’t have a job, but that’s not my idea of retirement

I’m currently on an extended vacation, and I’m using it like a practice retirement. It’s way different because of the pandemic, but it gives me some idea of whether I can handle it. I find it helps to have a rough schedule – intellectual pursuits in the morning, house repairs in the afternoon, etc. – to feel like I accomplished something during the day. When the pandemic is over, I’ll be able to add stuff like poker and skiing, so I won’t run out of things to do. I haven’t really felt the need to work on anything job-related, even though I like it.

Is this a UP thing? I could buy a few hundred shares.

I, too, bought some AMC with random funds I found in an account. (un?)Fortunately, I only had like $32. At least I get to have some fun :smiley:

1 Like

Not the best idea in a Roth because you can’t TLH, but YOLO.

I like how you guys are playing around with your pocket change and Suzzer has a chunk of his life savings in it!

I put about 1.8% of my portfolio in it - prepared to lose it all if they go bankrupt. If they don’t I’m betting they rebound back up to pre-covid levels. But now that it’s up 70% from there I don’t think I want to lose it all.

I am still underwater on AMC from my first go-round. But close to breakeven.

1 Like

Gme up 45% pre market
Edit: make that 52% a minute later.

Amc up 16%, BB 29%

We have to be nearing popsville for some of these bubbles, but man I don’t have the courage to bet against the short squeeze in GME.

I am almost certain by two years it goes back below $10 or even below $4 if the company doesn’t use this to raise billions in capital and change their core business model, but at the moment the WSB crowd knows exactly how the squeeze is working and are able to coordinate their actions and discourage each other from profit taking. The stock could easily hit $1000 in the next month if management doesn’t issue more shares.

At some point I might throw a few thousand of my wife’s Tesla profits into long dated puts but I assume the implied volatility is such that there will not be a price I actually pull the trigger on.

Thought nothing would top Friday, but here we are

1 Like

Jfc

So is the entire wsb sub millionaires yet or what?