Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

You’re essentially saying you want to market time. Which simply doesn’t work. I would advocate re-balancing to your preferred asset allocation at least annually, especially in pretax accounts where there are no tax consequences, or permanently shifting to a more conservative asset allocation. There is a mountain of evidence demonstrating that individual investors are terrible at timing the market.

3 Likes

I am coming around on the market being reasonably valued for one reason and one only: most of the businesses on the index funds would be bailed out if their sector ever got hit hard enough to wipe them all out. As a result, the risk of losing it all is ~nil, as a result higher P/E ratios are justified. On top of that the top 1% has mountains of wealth that has to go somewhere. If stonks are basically risk-free now because the indexes are too big to fail, it’s all going to keep piling into stocks.

That won’t change until we stop bailing out corporate America in a crisis and tax the wealthy more. Neither is happening anytime soon.

I’m waiting to see if there is a crash over shutdowns, if not I’m piling back in and riding this bubble out. I still think the above is a bubble, but it’s not popping due to the policies of Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi.

By the time it pops we’ll be so far above current valuations we’ll still come out way ahead.

1 Like

The stock market valuation looks a lot more attractive when you see ten year treasuries yielding 0.9%.

1 Like

My AMC went poo poo in the last 30 minutes today. I guess some studio announced they’re releasing straight to HBO Max all last year.

2 Likes

Shocker. CA passes a highly regressive ballot measure and suddenly the company is worth 25B? Gee, I wonder why…

This also doesn’t take into account what happens to that number for dollars of food ordered once the pandemic ends.

The only time they’ve ever turned profit is when people are forced away from restaurants during a pandemic? That doesn’t seem tenable

If you want to get your “employees” to hate you, this is a sure fire way to do it. Every minute they spend waiting for a restaurant to finish the order they are picking up will lower their hourly rate. When I was delivering food for uber eats, there were restaurants I simply stopped picking up orders from because it was a minimum ten minute wait every time I arrived. If they do that with all drivers, eventually those drivers will stop accepting orders from there.

A lot of places are spending money on bag security measures to stop this from happening

It looks like we had big miss on non-farm payrolls. Futures are still green though. BULLISH

Stocks are forward looking, dummy. Less hiring last quarter means more people that can be hired in the future, its just math. Stonks.

5 Likes

it almost went to all time high again on news that the economy is more devastated than expected

STONKS

2 Likes

Total international seems to be nuts also the past few months. Up like 20% or so I believe and about 12% just in the last month.

Well of course this news will surely get Mitch and the team moving on relief dontchaknow.

10 Likes

I saw the jump at market open and thought wow must be another phony jobs report indicating they’ve smashed targets. More fool me.

Shockingly enough, Rick Santelli is still a loudmouth moron.
https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/status/1334890937726726151

Never forget:

I have never done cocaine, but this is very much how I imagine people act when doing copious amounts of that drug.

2 Likes

I just looked at my 401k personal rate of return for the year and am honestly shocked. 21%… in a year of just straight struggle across the board. Obviously I’m incredibly fortunate right now, but LOLSTONKS.

1 Like

My final puts expire on December 18th. I am such a horrible STONKS gambler. What I am doing doesn’t even make sense bc I am betting against my own 401k. Maybe I unlocked the cheat code. Put most of my money in something and then bet against it with options and watch the options go to 0 while my 401k goes up.

3 Likes