Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

Yeah fair enough I’ll just sit on it and I’m sure they’ll figure it out.

They’re figure it out eventually and come for the money.

Wall Street LOVING the low deaths

Yeah this sudden inability to understand the meaning of basic facts from ‘titans of business’ is giving me a really really strong early 2007 vibe. Not sure about the rest of you lol.

We are definitely in either a bubble phase or a market disconnected from reality phase or both. The problem with trying to bet against that is it can stay like that for a long time. I do think it is possible that Q2 earnings coming up here this month + guidance going forward might be a wake up call but who knows.

TSLA 1320. Motherofgod.jpg

1 Like

1 Like

just learned that

1. Fiverr is publicly traded and
  2. Its up 4x in the last 3 months since the March low

STONKS

2 Likes

Why are we buying DIS puts for a Disneyworld shutdown? Wouldn’t airline puts be better?

It sounds weird, but Disneyworld shutting down again would mean a lot more for the overall travel industry than for DIS itself. If Disneyworld is shut down, what chance do we have of major international travel, cruises, lodging, and generally mass tourism in the foreseeable future? DIS is a heck of a lot less exposed to this than AAL, which will be worth 0 if COVID cannot be controlled.

FWIW I think this is the week death rates start inching up. Next week is when a clear trend starts to be apparent.

It sounds to me like the kid was suicidal already and decided to YOLO it and try to run up a nice score and maybe turn his life around and if he failed he was going to just do whatever he was planning.

No. This isn’t a YOLO bet. His maximum profit and his maximum loss were both capped at relatively low amounts. All evidence points to him making a relatively low-risk bet with very limited upside and downside, and then completely misinterpreting his account balance. I think most of the blame goes to Robinhood for a combination of poor interface allowing the misinterpretation combined with granting option trading to someone for whom it obviously wasn’t appropriate.

See here for more:

2 Likes

Some fun schadenfreude reading on Quibi. What you never heard of the $B streaming venture led by Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman that was going to revolutionize phone viewing?

This paragraph though:

Blum chalks up the griping to jealousy. Salaried Hollywood executives have no problem with entrepreneurial founders like Elon Musk getting rich, he says, but they see Katzenberg as one of them. “He doesn’t get the founder status, and he’s gotten, a couple times over, the founder pay,” Blum says. “People making $20 million or $25 million a year are like, ‘Fuck it, this guy’s one of us, and he keeps beating me.’ ”

500k people go bankrupt over healthcare bills a year because people making $20M a year don’t see themselves as rich.

Because it’s a single event that I thought was a high probability event that would move that stock significantly. The airlines have more diversified exposure, and they’re also going to get bailed out. But yeah, betting against the whole travel industry seems smart. I tried to get a big payoff with options with short-term expiry dates, which obviously increased my chances of losing the principal but I think was most +EV.

If DIS says fuck it and opens, I’m probably done betting against any of it. Like, obviously I’m betting on a rigged game. These red state governors want to be open and avoid the ire of Trump more than anything else, corporations want to be open and make money, and we do not have a shortage of idiots who will YOLO it up in this country.

I mean, eventually they’ll get a bunch of cases and some deaths linked to Disney trips, but will it even matter? One of the talking points we’re going to start hearing a lot is that it’s not just about the risk of something, it’s about comparing it to whatever other activity they would have engaged in.

Getting a little frothy out there. Feels like we could have another big Thursday correction.

Anyone want to try to explain AMZN w/o using the word stonks?

.com bubble 2.0?

Seriously starting to feel like it. I’m very tempted to dump my AMZN - about 7% of my portfolio at the moment. But then I’d be annoyed when it goes up another 20%.

I’d say if you’re happy with what you’ve got then liquidate it and leave the last 10% for someone else (assuming the rise continues).

Well I went to half cash a few weeks ago and after missing out on some losses, I’ve now reversed and missed out on some gains.

As Keeed has pointed out - most likely the only way you lose long term is to miss out on gains that you can never get back. Presumably all losses will eventually be made back.

At least until the music stops and we can’t print our way out of trouble anymore. Then it’s pretty much end of days stuff as the US will not go down into economic collapse w/o massive chaos, scapegoating, probably deathcamps, wars. Just rooting that happens after I die.

If you’re unsure then you could trim enough to cover your basis and let the rest ride.

1 Like