Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

You going to see it soon.

Sounds like you’re ready to run the Federal Reserve.

1 Like

50 basis point cut instantly met with massive sell off. GJGE

This is all exactly why no good comes from following the market. It’s the very rare case where ignorance is a huge plus.

I did. Took a day but supposedly I can trade on margin now. Also my pending activity moved to cash - but still yellow. And it says I still can’t buy anything.

No chance to be a day trader with this baby. Ah well it least it prevented me from loading up on BRKB at the end of yesterday or early this morning.

I went straight cash on my IRA’s on 2/21. Wanted to sell off my 401k too but it’s through WOAT John Hancock with so many restrictions on moving money, I could’ve moved to money market and been locked for 30 days or waited until March. Felt pretty good about the market going down last week but not confident enough to lock my money away for 30 days so I held. Obv a mistake. I was happy to get the bounce there yesterday at least. Didn’t mind missing out in the IRA’s cause today was obviously going down. Moved the 401k to cash at close of market yesterday (again WOAT only processes trades at market close, worked out OK this time though). Staying cash at least through this week. Will reenter only when CV spread spikes enough that the idiots with their heads in the sand now recognize we are headed for some true unavoidable pain and the market is priced accordingly. Lol @ sticking to obviously untrue maxims about market timing.

Well I turned on margin trading and all my stocks went yellow and say margin. When I go to buy some BRKB it says I have more “non-margin buying power” than I have cash in the account. How is that possible? Margin buying power is double that. I have no idea wtf is going on. I can’t even turn off margin w/o calling them. Damn this awesome terrible power!

23e

I just called Fidelity - apparently the larger than cash “non-margin buying power” number is the amount on margin that I can spend on non-marginable securities. Which makes no sense. He asked if I really wanted to go down that rabbit hole and I said no. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t accidentally have anything on margin, and I don’t.

2 Likes

How bad of an investor do you have to be to go broke investing in high end real estate in the 21st century?

Bernie apparently scarier than deadly pathogens to the investing class.

1 Like

I thought you could sell and then buy ETFs on Fidelity without waiting for the sale to settle without having to utilize margin? I mostly use mutual funds and typically just do exchanges that execute overnight at the closing price. But I do have some ETFs now, partly because I thought I could trade in and out faster if I wanted to.

Yeah I just get annoyed when I sell something and the see it sit there pending for 4 days (which somehow 2 business days always turns into in practice). The sale goes through right away but the money is pending. I guess I can get around that now. We’ll see.

But can you still buy while a sale is pending without using margin? I guess I need to call Fidelity so I understand exactly.

Not that you sound offended, but not sure why Bernie supporters get offended when people suggest this. He is literally trying to cut into the profits of ~every large company that comprise the stock market and even put many of them out of business. Of course he is bad for the stock market!

Anyway, looks like I was the one that was delusional about Bernie’s chances. Switching from bonds to stocks shortly.

We’ve had very strong economies in the past with much higher corporate (and personal) tax rates. I’ll take higher taxes (and the greater social good) over deadly pathogens any day.

I’m a Bernie supporter. The stock market != economy so agree we can have a very strong economy w/ Bernie. Doesn’t change that the stock market is priced to value the large corporations that comprise it under a system that is rigged for them and Bernie wants to unrig it.

It doesn’t exactly equal the economy but it mirrors it close enough. I mean I get it, taxes will cut into profits. So won’t the economy shutting down.

The stock market arguably mirrors the economy close enough on a day to day basis under normal conditions. It wouldn’t mirror it close enough if there is a suddenly a drastic reduction in the % of GDP that goes to large corporations versus the average person. It wasn’t just taxes, virtually every Bernie economic position was aimed at reducing that %. That’s why he was great!

I take issue that Bernie would destroy more than he would create. Europe gets by just fine with the kinds of policies Bernie is proposing. Their economies didn’t come grinding to a halt. However buying power is somewhat more evenly distributed between the elites and everyone else. Can’t have that.

1 Like