Infrastructure / Reconciliation / Debt Limit Sweat

Seems like it passed rather easily with more LOLDem votes than GOP votes. At least if i am understanding Rupar’s tweets.

Uniparty gets everything it wants while serving up theater for those under the mistaken illusion anything else is possible.

4 Likes

im reading that it passed 314-117, which means the democrats probably left a lot on the table

Trump on the debt ceiling deal: “I would’ve taken the default if you had to”

https://clerk.house.gov/evs/2023/roll243.xml

Rs 149-71
Ds 165-46

Notable ayes: Jordan, MTG, Massie
Most if not all notable progressives were nays.

CA senate candidates
Aye: Schiff
Nay: Lee, Porter

2 Likes

Lmao

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1663744822018994177

Oddly a huge part of the debt ceiling deal is streamlining the federal environmental permitting process, which is actually the only bipartisan issue I can think of right now, but it’s getting close to zero media attention.

They couldn’t reach a deal on that.

Not that I’ve been reading. Some of the proposed provisions were removed but not all.

Unless something changed:

The bill, set to be voted on Wednesday in the House, amends the National Environmental Policy Act by requiring a single federal agency to lead environmental reviews for infrastructure projects. It also sets a one-year deadline for agencies to issue environmental assessments and a two-year deadline for environmental impact statements.

Also, if an agency develops a “categorical exclusion” for a type of project, such as electric vehicle chargers, another agency could use it instead of going through a separate review for chargers.

“These changes will help us build more quickly and responsibly; build more solar, build more wind, EV chargers, transmission, and the other infrastructure we need to secure a clean energy economy,” a White House official said during a media briefing.

Viridian is correct that some of this is out now as I’ve read but it’s a quickly changing issue with little coverage so hard to know for sure.

Quick glance has Ilhan Omar and Becca Balint (not really “notable”, but a legit progressive and my rep) voting Aye.

1 Like

Do you mean those items were not in the bill passed by the House, or that the Senate will or has removed them?

I have not been able to clarify that myself.

I’m hearing that the version passed by the House does include permitting reform, the pipeline and the transmission study. Obv it’s all about the details though.

Would the permitting reform fix the NIMBY-lawsuit issue? I know next to nothing about this topic except all the holdups I hear about in California seem to be due to that.

This just started up, could be a good one …

That’s a wrap.

Collect your internet points.

1 Like

Bingo