Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I’m kind of overgeneralizing, but what you need is first generation Asian parents. They’ve got this shit mostly figured out. And I’m sure some would say they might be too extreme in the other direction.

1 Like

Maybe it is just how it was taught.

Are you good at math?

Good at math/bad at coding is an uncommon combo.

This lackadaisical approach of just doing whatever the fuck and assuming it would all work out in the end actually worked for white boomers. They started their careers in the 60s and 70s where a university degree actually meant you got a good job and if you didn’t have a degree you could work at the union factory and get a living wage, home ownership, and a pension. The reason that immigrants have better ideas about what choices to make is that they had to make actual good choices to get good lives.

3 Likes

Yup and after it all worked out for Boomers no matter what, it seemed like most of them didn’t pay attention to things changing behind them, and thus gave terrible advice - both to their kids, on a personal level, and systematically - through guidance counselors and such.

I was good at math. I suspect it had to do with my similar lack of talent with foreign languages.

Nah, I don’t think it’s that. You would have been fine at coding with good instruction. The hard part of coding is the algorithms, not the syntax.

make it!

I don’t get it. Am I supposed to hate this guy?

i don’t hate him, but the article isn’t very useful for anyone. they might as well profile an nba player. “this 25 year old makes $230,000 per month!”

1 Like

Depends, is he the one that classifies highly paid but actual work “passive income” or should I hate the reporter for that?

Seems like there’s two formulas for those kinds of articles. One is something like “here’s how I paid off $85K in two years by budgeting” and it starts off with laughably basic ways to cut very small expenses (“eat out less”, “make my own coffee” etc) and when you start wondering how saving $150/month on this stuff helped them pay off this huge debt they’ll slip in “#4 - I was finally able to unload a $270K property I inherited from my grandfather 3 years ago” and you throw up your hands and close the window.

The above article is the other kind where they claim all this unverified passive income from blogging and YouTube views and when you’re wondering how the fuck they make so much, well wouldn’t you know it here’s a not so subtle ad for his business to teach you how to do the same:

My second business, which teaches people how to monetize their knowledge and passions like I did, launched in 2018. Over the last six months, I’ve generated $120,000 per month in passive income from an online course called the Automatic Income Academy, my Six-Figure Coaching Community, a high-level business coaching program called The Epic Mastermind,

5 Likes

This is the internet. You’re supposed to hate everything.

3 Likes

Yes its either “my parents bought me a house” or “I make obscene amounts of money from a blog you never heard of in an age where ads and referrals make nothing”

Like a typical entitled avocado toast loving, latte swilling Millennial!

God this propaganda drives me fucking nuts.

A friend of mine lives in Georgia, and he sent me a link to this scholarship program:

As far as I can tell, this is insane:

• The taxpayer donates some amount of money, up to $1,000, to this scholarship fund.
  • The taxpayer takes a 100% Georgia income tax credit, so that the donation is zero cost.

This seems galactically stupid from Georgia’s point of view - rather than just directing state funds to this particular program, they set up a logistically complicated program where the state intentionally creates middlemen taxpayers that the state fully reimburses. That seems crazy to me.

But that’s not all! My friend is in a situation where he itemizes his deductions and is above the cap on state and local taxes (SALT). So by doing this costless donation in Georgia, he converts a non-deductible (over the cap) state tax deduction into a deductible charitable contribution. This donation actually makes him net money.

Just ridiculous.

Sounds like it’s working as planned?

1 Like

It doesn’t make any sense at all to me. The charitable recipient doesn’t get any incremental money with this taxpayer scheme, plus there’s a bunch of administrative nonsense involved. It would be much easier for the state to just fund directly.

And it’s not like this is set up for the truly wealthy. The donation amount is capped at $1,000, so no one is getting rich from this. It just seems utterly stupid.

Not sure what you don’t understand. It’s a tax cut for civic minded people rather than tax and spend liberalism, which we all know never works. Huge difference!

Making things unnecessarily complicated is how we create jobs in America

Politicians are absolutely in love with tax credits because then they can say Read My Lips I Did Not Raise Taxes. Also they are of little value to poor people and fuck poor people, AMIRITE?!?!?