Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I was going to buy a new or lightly used car sometime in May but since I’m WFH and not doing almost any driving I’m going to wait for a while.

I hate negotiating, so I’ll post here when I’m ready to battle against the car salesmen. Lots of great advice ITT.

1 Like

One of the other ironies was that, while the unit I left was huge, it’s a warehouse flat with no actual bedrooms. No privacy, impossible to have a roommate, far from ideal for couples. The target market for that is, like, a youngish single person with an antique furniture and oversized art addiction. And their first inclination is to raise the rent by 50%. It was still empty when the pandemic started.

Regarding the real estate market, a lot of people are leaving cities for the suburbs due to the pandemic. I would expect that to boost home sales and hurt rentals.

Every industry differs and deals will ebb and flow as pressure is applied by the parties.

As an example, standard software supplier tactic is to delay providing a renewal quote as long as possible to build pressure on the buyer.

Counter tactic: build a byzantine corporate approval process to apply pressure too supplier. Sorry, Joe, we missed the CEO approval meeting due to your late quote. Looks like we won’t be able to sign an agreement before your quarter end.

ETA: The net effect is that all deals get done with 2 consecutive overnighters, lol

1 Like

Yeah my brother works for a company that manufactures components used to build septic systems, and he told me they are booming right now because so many people are building new construction in rural areas, supposedly to escape the pandemic. But IDK new construction seems kind of slow when you’re trying to escape a fucking pandemic?

3 Likes

This. Just got back from Durango, CO where I thought I might buy some property I knew about. Don’t quote me on this but prices spiked well north of 20% in Q1 20. Unreal, and I did not pull the trigger. Will wait for a better pitch.

It’s also kind of tricky because like the PA curve is going back up, but the Philadelphia curve appears pretty flat as of yesterday.

1 Like

Imagine being a landlord and waiting tenants out to the bitter end though, especially if they are good renters.

1 Like

Oh I agree. I didn’t make this point well but the trick is to find the likely pressure points of any given deal as part of the deal strategy/planning process. Seek to maximize our leverage and minimize our opponent’s leverage.

Sorry I just read this lol. So this is just 100% them trying to go subterfuge and hoping that you’re so rich you don’t notice or care about the rent increase. That’s fucking bold.

My only response to that is probably to say I’m moving out honestly… and leave the reason for moving out as ‘you’re smoking crack on that price lol’. That should trigger them initiating a negotiation on very unfavorable desperate seeming ground… which we know they are on.

The reason why I keep trending towards rude here is that I think these guys need a jolt. Holy fuck are they smarmy.

2 Likes

If I’m reading that right, door #3 here is continuing month to month at my current price, right? Which is $3,060 without the rent concession, plus $225 without the parking concession. Of course that’s why they made those concessions and didn’t just price it monthly.

But that’s too high, too. I think the move is to email them and tell them that their offer is insulting in the middle of a pandemic to a customer who’s never even been late on a payment, and that I’ve already started shopping around and seen much better deals, so if they have any interest in retaining me they better step their game up.

What gets me about the way you put it is that I can’t imagine there are a lot of people rich enough and dumb enough not to care about a massive rent increase. Especially given how insulting it is.

I actually disagree with 1. but that’s only because I’d feel kind of insulted if I was cuse. I’ll admit that I can get big ‘do you know who I am’ energy when people don’t respect my raises lol. Mostly because this works really well on the kind of people who don’t respect my raises though.

1. I agree about the shorter email structure. I also think being overly professional could seem like weakness here. When you speak to someone professionally you confer that you respect them. That’s not what we want to communicate at all.

I’ll admit that I am having a bit of an emotional reaction to cuse’s landlord lol.

1 Like

Tell me about it. I’m pretty pissed. This shit is giving me even more anxiety and I did not need that right now.

Yeah dial that back. You’ve got AA and don’t forget it.

1 Like

I have a poor track record in negotiations, totally not out of my own error either. I once got offered a job, they lowballed me below their range in the ad. I countered within their range and they pulled the offer, said I insulted them and hired someone else.

I had AA then, too.

Doesn’t sound like you have a 2BR apt; sounds like you have a 6BR suite!

Thread should be changed to “Let’s Make Bad Poker Analogies!”

2 Likes

Your line was fine. Definitely lost the minimum. If you had let them start a relationship with you like that you’d have been in for a bad time…

There are plenty of times where the right thing to do in a negotiation is to walk away much the way folding is often the right play in poker (another bad poker analogy). Half of being a good negotiator is being comfortable just saying no and making for the door without allowing yourself to get sucked in. Maybe more actually.

Maybe it’s not such a bad poker analogy. The first step in learning to play poker is usually being a huge nit for a while lol.

2 Likes

STFU I know you mean me. I told you guys I didn’t play poker anymore lolol.

One of my best skills is knowing when to not even play. Case in point, I was feeling so much anxiety and frustration today I didn’t even try to play. I knew I wouldn’t be in a mental state to handle frustrating stretches, tilt, etc.

I’m interested in this too, from the selling position. I don’t understand why the market hasn’t tanked.

But also, whereas before I had planned to stay here for a long time, the pandemic has changed things and put me in a position where I’m looking at leaving the area.

Should I sell my house as soon as I can right now? I can probably have it ready for market in a week, but I’ll be living in it while selling it.