Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

It’s a really effective way to get a little bit extra out of a novice negotiator. It’s also a mechanism I use regularly for giving up ground to a number that’s still in my acceptable range.

One thing a lot of people think that is wrong is that getting their opponents ‘bottom number’ is the goal. In a transactional one off negotiation this is true, but in an ongoing business deal it often induces them to continuously shop you and mentally justify being shady. You want to get to the minimum number where they still feel good about the transaction and want to do it again. That will ensure that they actually show up and follow through on what they promised.

1 Like

Jfc it seems like they want your increase to cover a part of one of the rent for the units they can’t find tenants for. My buddy is not doing any increases for at least the next year (half his tenants are under government rent subsidies too) and even in normal times the most he would increase is 5% and this is on the north side of Chicago half a block from the beach

1 Like

Yeah, people watch too much TV and think you have to be a dick in negotiations. A good negotiation is one in which both sides are happy with the result (or are at least ok with it).

1 Like

Cuse,

To put some data to this, only 77% of apartment tenants paid in July. And that’s only tracking large institutional landlords that report to the tracking services. These folks have more upscale projects where far more people are paying than the actual national average. In B/C properties and for smaller landlords, probably only half of people are paying. And that’s before the extra unemployment runs out this month. Their behavior is so absurd I’d be tempted to just not respond and move out of spite, but that doesn’t really help you so if you can stomach it I’d give them one more chance.

3 Likes

Yeah he really has AA. And they just open bet 30bb’s that you can basically 3bet shove for time efficiency. (please don’t criticize my poker lol. I haven’t played a hand since BF)

4 Likes

This rent negotiation stuff is pretty interesting, but can we extract to another thread?

Yeah a dedicated negotiation thread is probably not the worst idea… and honestly I don’t think there’s a place I can better contribute to the forum. Like this is my subject in the same way that some of you are scientists with doctorates in hard science.

6 Likes

I’m guessing that 77% figure is absorbed with mortgages here?

Can you point me to the renter stat somewhere?

1 Like

Oh thanks. I read your original post backwards (that 77% MISSED)

I’m curious to what they are advertising to new renters currently.

Good time to take a look around as well. Maybe there is a better locale or better place for a better deal.

Imagine some of your neighbors saying yes to that.

+38%. LMAO.

Solid advice here. I’d propose an additional tactic which is to add a multi-month option to the bargaining table as well as month-to-month. Open up as many options as you can during the negotiation to give yourself max leverage.

My pony has slicked back hair and says things like “sticker is quicker”.

Solid advice given by @boredsocial and @Riverman ITT. A dedicated thread would be cool. Like boredsocial, I could probably use my sick procurement skills to give back to the community.

4 Likes

I’m grunching, haven’t read any other replies. I’ll get that book on Kindle so I can read it on my phone/laptop. This is probably either going to be conducted on the phone or by email, do you think that’s good or bad? If it needs to be in person I could ask someone to meet me outside the property management office one day.

A dedicated thread on living accommodations might be very nice if we can restrain ourselves from arguing about the concept of property.

1 Like

Email option is the best imo. That way you can have ample time to look at everything at your pace and more importantly think about what you want to say before you say it.

3 Likes

I hate email for exactly these reasons I just realized. I do not want the other person to have time to carefully compose their responses and think about what they should do. I want to keep them off balance reacting to me through the whole thing.

3 Likes

And for you (the one with the most experience in these situations) that probably makes sense.

For me (who doesn’t and would likely be negotiating against someone with more experience), I definitely want time to think and be able to craft a carefully thought out plan.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I get that. I’m just finding that interesting and now I’m on to the ramifications of that. Tells you a lot about how you’re being perceived by the other person. I think a huge part of this is just understanding that tempo matters and knowing when to try to hurry up or when to shut everything down and go slow… and knowing that this is a knob you can turn.

2 Likes

New thread title is confusing similar to the other thread title and kind of defeats the purpose imo.

Hmm, how about now? Personal finance in Sundry Chitchat and stocks in the news category.