Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

There’s been some interesting discussion about rent negotiations in another thread (I think the COVID one), and people are suggesting it be moved here. But there seems to be a pretty big gap between stonks discussion and other general personal finance discussion. Does anyone think there’s enough interest to have separate stonks and non-stonks threads?

2 Likes

There should definitely be two threads.

2 Likes

I like it all in one thread.

I think there should be a thread for almost every distinct topic that isn’t one of the main chat room style mega threads. I’m fine with keeping personal finance, but we should for sure have a personal business thread that isn’t about buying/selling financial products.

Two threads probably makes the most sense.

STONKS and other financial happenings thread should be in Politics & News.

The more “personal finance” related stuff (like cuse’s apartment rent increase in the COVID thread right now) is more of a Sundry Chitchat topic.

I agree.

This is now the STONKS and other financial happenings thread.

Non-investing personal finance here: Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19 - #39 by boredsocial

1 Like

https://coinbasestolemymoney.com/

And we’re off! :eyes:

My favorite part: Any email contact to CoinbaseStoleMyMoney’s administrator requires that the sender attaches a photo of a) their government ID and b) a selfie. Otherwise, you know, your email could be insecure. Or something. Fuck you.

2 Likes

Found this funny about that dumbass streaming service or whatever the hell quibi tries to be

I recently went through my periodic cycle of thinking selling options sounds like a good idea followed by a few weeks of stress trying to make sure I roll them properly and never having them finish OOM before giving up lol

OK, this thread is gigantic and you all seem smarter than me. WAY back when I split off a small amount of my investment money into an account I wanted to use to buy some stocks. I’m no expert, and my method of choosing what to buy was to basically buy stock in stuff that I like and use. I had planned to be active with it, but like most things in my ADHD life, that fell by the wayside when I got new interests.

bottom line, I only own 3 stocks in that side account, all 3 of which are doing quite well. They are three big-name stocks. Two of them are probably grossly overvalued. Now I’m wondering when the hell I should sell because there’s no way they can stay that high, right? The current market makes no sense to me, btw. One of my holdings is with a company that by all accounts should be getting hammered by COVID and the lockdown, but it just keeps climbing.

To be clear, my initial investment in these stocks added up to an amount that, if I lost it all, would probably make no difference to our overall financial situation, but the current value is 8x what I invested initially (and WOULD make a difference in the positive if I keep it) and like any good poker player…I fucking hate to lose.

I’m kicking myself a little for pulling all the way out of the market, although I still think a crash is coming. Don’t know how we reckon with 32% of people missing housing payments without going into a big recession.

Anyway, my first step was to shift into QQQ, which was safer than the S&P. A reasonable step right now imo is to be in FAANG (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google) or similar stocks (Microsoft, Shopify, Zoom, etc). My concern is that they’re also way overpriced because everyone is doing the same thing, but they’re what’s holding the market up.

I wouldn’t be comfortable putting money into the market right now broadly unless I was comfortable leaving it for 15+ years. Hell, I’m leaving my investments in for 20+ years and I still don’t want to be invested right now.

I’m also guessing skydiver is already in one or two FAANG stocks. I’m guessing she’s in Apple and Disney for two of the three. Another FAANG one wouldn’t surprise me.

Is there a reason you won’t say what they are?

Not at all.

Tesla, Apple, and Chipotle (which is the one that is most confusing to me, lol). I bought Apple and Chipotle a while ago, and Tesla last year when it was at $286

I didn’t want to seem like a brag, I guess?

Chipotle is doing great because they were able to easily transition to takeout/delivery. They already had a strong infrastructure set up for that.

1 Like

Honestly that’s the one I’m “proudest” of. I bought it when it was in the mid $100s, rode it through the E. coli stuff, and here we are.

If you want to divest, the optimal situation would be to tax-loss harvest (or better yet have already tax-loss harvested) and and use the losses to offset the capital gains from sale. Then you can invest in something you feel better about right now.

I don’t really have any deep thoughts about the individual stonks themselves. I nearly never invest in individual stocks.

1 Like

yeah, i was thinking of moving to a fund (index or bonds, even), I just need to hunker down and do the research.

1 Like

Research is for donks (not really, but kind of).

Stocks - Vanguard total market
Bonds - Vanguard total bond

How you distribute between the two is depending on things like age, risk tolerance, rest of portfolio, etc.

Picking these over any other stock and bond funds is at worst a small mistake and likely far better than anything else you might choose to do after your research.

6 Likes

If you want to keep it super simple and want a portfolio that is risk adjusted to all ecominc conditions (other than complete WAAF economic collapse), you could do:

SPY 25%
TLT 25%
GLD 25%
Money Markets (Cash) 25%

Historical returns 6-9% which is less than equities but I sleep well at night. In 2008, this portfolio lost 2% against ~50% equities loss.

You rebalance when any position falls below 15% or exceeds 25%. Minimizes trade fees.

It’s called the “permanent portfolio” if are interested in researching further. Purists advocate holding physical gold rather than GLD but physical gold creates hassles that I’m too lazy to deal with.

In reviewing my portfolio last night, I realized that right before Christmas I bought XLRE (passive RE SPDR). Its performance is shown below:

It comprises just 3% of my portfolio. I’m wondering if I should still dump it before shit gets worse for REITs.