Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

Hahahaha yeah you do that you might want to just buy a place lol.

Which is like pretty fucking telling, though, right? This is how powerless we all are. A company can just shit all over you, and if you dare try to notify other people and shine a light on this behavior, we all know you’re going to be fucked cause nobody else will want to deal with you.

This is why I’ve been researching the idea of playing poker while living out of an RV and buying some cheap land to park on when not traveling. COVID has put that on hold.

2 Likes

A coworker of mine did that at my last job.

We worked remotely anyway so he worked from an RV and traveled around.

Let’s laugh at my landlord.

This is the door to the apartment across the terrace from me. I got home yesterday around 7 or 8 and it was like that. Maintenance supposedly left here by 1pm. I assume they went in there and left it open, so it’s been open for 24 hours+. I notified my landlord this morning. They have not closed it yet.

They asked me if I was sure it was apartment number 123 and I was like yes I’m in 125 and it’s next to me. I sent them the picture. I even offered to shut it myself for them, if they wanted me to.

They have decided to leave it open. Why? Because they aren’t sure why they left it open, and until they can figure out why they left it open, they’re going to leave it open.

It’s currently 95 degrees outside and I’m pretty sure they leave the a/c on in vacant units, given that they leave the lights on 24/7 in all vacant units.

This is SOP in most places in USA.

Are there any resources you’ve found useful/informative towards accomplishing this goal that you’re willing to share?

The same idea has been in the back of my mind for years. Bare land and throw some shipping containers or RV on it. That or a move to MX seems to be in my future.

Interesting, I’ve lived in at least six different rentals long-term (and a few others short-term) and this is the first time it’s come up. Perhaps nobody has ever actually called my past landlords before.

lol you think he’s getting his deposit back.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of starting a blog-ish thread detailing my thoughts on the idea, which would include going over the things I have researched. I think I’m at the point where I have to explore this outside of the confines of my own head and get other people’s input to see if it makes sense.

2 Likes

Well if he isn’t I really can’t find a reason not to go for the shit-on-the-table approach I advocated for previously…

If I don’t I’m sueing them. Like the deposit is $3,060. I don’t care if the lawyer costs $4,000 at this point because fuck them that’s why.

1 Like

Oh if they withhold the deposit it’s fucking on.

1 Like

Alternatively you could simply withhold that much rent at the end. Definitely a lower conflict option.

1 Like

I never paid the last months rent to keep landlords from stealing the deposit. They always got super pissy about it with all kinds of threats and references to the RENTAL AGREEMENT YOU SIGNED, lol landlords. None of them ever did anything.

4 Likes

This. They get huffy but possession really is 9/10 of the law.

Interesting. I’ve never tried this and they’ve always taken like $200 out of the deposit, and obviously the lease says the deposit is separate from rent and can’t be used toward rent, etc.

There is a guy in Columbus who has built a 9 figure net worth slumlording shitty old houses around Ohio State. His business model is to rent 6+ bedroom places, make parents guarantee the leases, collect a huge deposit (like 2+ months rent, justified by college kids being terrible tenants), then steal the deposit claiming pre-existing damage. Almost nobody bothers to challenge it as it’s only a few hundred dollars per person. Ins0 would love this guy.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought renting to college kids is highly underrated, even if you’re a morally upstanding landlord who’s not gouging people. You’re guaranteed demand, you are basically renting to upper middle class parents who will overspend on their kids, the kids’ standard of living is pretty low at that point - they’re just happy to be on their own. Downside is the risk of damage, but if you’re at all selective with tenants you can mitigate that risk quite a bit, and given the deposit you don’t even have that much liability.

1 Like

It’s best to have neighbors who will call the police on them for partying but in college towns near campus that is sometimes tough. I’ve been to some ragers and seen houses I would not want to be responsible for paying for, even from straight A student females with rich parents.