Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

That sucks. Very similar scenario here, where I think they inherited my ING account, and it’s one I rarely look at or think about. But I guess I caught it somehow a couple years ago, and converted to the Performance Savings. Still have an orphan $0.01 in the old “regular” Savings account somehow.

It’s a less than 5 minute process to open a new account–a Performance 360 Savings Account–and transfer assets. The information is already populated, so it’s trivial to do.

But the fact that I had to do it at all, and that I wouldn’t have even known about it, is incredibly scam-like.

tbh this is pretty great, I have a capital one card and too much cash, sticking 10k into this new account for at least 90 days gives a 1k bonus on top of the 3%.

Looks like no.

• If you have or had an open 360 Performance Savings, 360 Savings, 360 Money Market, Savings Now or Confidence Savings account as a primary or secondary account holder with Capital One on or after January 1, 2019, you will be ineligible for the bonus. If your account is in default, closed or suspended, or otherwise not in good standing, you will not receive the bonus.

If it’s this promo, $10K gets a $100 bonus. $100K gets you $1000.

Looks like they got me too. Appreciate the heads up. You basically just paid for my nephews’ Christmas gift.

1 Like

I checked my dads variable rate mortgage last week. Hes paying 6.8%. The same bank is offering 4.5% on the website.

Fuckers.

Hi I make 350k but have 170k in auto loans why am I living paycheck to paycheck

2 Likes

checks out with all those articles about “I earn $X00,000, but am not rich”

Has anyone ever actually done a mega back door Roth with the pro rata rule? I’m thinking of doing it given this year’s decline in my existing IRA.

Surveys of Americans about what they think they need financially to achieve X are about as useful as asking my dog how how to design a nuclear reactor. The median American is a fucking moron with money.

5 Likes

Wealthfront savings:

On December 16, we’re raising the APY on your Cash Account from 3.30% to 3.80%.

:vince:

They are pretty quick to adjust up and down though, so it may not last at 3.8 for long.

Obviously Jerome Powell knows way more than me but it seems like they could go ahead and chill the fuck out with the rate hikes right about now. Prices have stabilized and are dropping in huge sectors like car prices and rent. He’s already crushed the housing market to shit, people are loading up on credit card debt, the only place inflation is still happening is wages, which like, fine?

That’s definitely not fine with the super-rich.

3 Likes

Seriously. They want to crush the labor market as well, controlling inflation is only half the job.

3 Likes

Quick sanity check.

2007 Toyota Highlander, parked in driveway. A tree limb falls on it and breaks the front windshield and puts a few cosmetic dents in the roof, the hood, and the door. I don’t think the dents will affect driving or safety at all.

Since the car is so old and was a little beat up to begin with, insurance declares it a total loss, because multiple panels need to be replaced. Their settlement offer is around $6,900. So I can give them the car and take that amount.

Apparently I can also keep the car, fix the windshield myself, and keep driving it. In that case I would get the $6,900 minus salvage value, which they say is $2,000, so I get a check for $4,900 and keep the car. That $2000 is probably too high but whatever.

If I think I can drive the car for another 2-3 years, I should probably keep it, right? I give up $2,000 in salvage value, and $300 to repair the windshield myself, but I get to postpone buying a new car for a couple years (if I’m lucky).

If it matters I could buy a new car without financing. I just would rather run the old car down to nothing. Cuz I’m cheap and like having a beater car.

Thoughts?

1 Like

It seems like a no-brainer to keep driving the 2007 Toyota if you don’t mind driving an old car and if it’s actually safe to drive.

I guess I’m curious how a broken windshield and minor dents to the roof, hood and door came up to more than the 7K the car is worth?

I’d be really nervous that one or more of those dents result in an inability to make a proper seal with a new windshield.

From my limited research the answer is:

1. Apparently they can declare it a total loss when it’s only 65-75% of the total value, this varies by state. In my case the estimate was about 70% of the value.
  2. There were multiple panels dented, each panel has to be replaced I guess. $1,500 plus per panel?

Ironically the dents were not around the windshield. I think the limb fell in two pieces, one hit the windshield directly and the other dented above and below the rear passenger door. Slightly worried about the seal of the rear passenger door, but the front windshield has no dents around the seal.