Individual Economics in the Age of COVID-19

I have. She was ok. Eyebooger is correct.

Jwax becoming a favourite poster of mine just for this one.

Love it!

1 Like

So I guess this would be the thread to post this in.

My girlfriend just got notified yesterday that DIRECTV sent her to collections for $750. She had a dish over 3 years ago when she was living in NJ and canceled the service then. She scheduled pick up of the equipment multiple times and every time they said no one was home.

Anyway, she moved back to AZ and has not had one single communication from them since. Not an email, not a letter or phone call. Not even from the collections agency they sent it to, and the only reason she knew about it was because of a credit alert.

How the hell do we get this resolved? Obviously they have to prove the debt, which in theory would be “legit” because somehow they never picked up the equipment from her ex’s house. However, how can they just send it to collections with 0 attempts to contact her?

I don’t have the answers here, but this is the type of thing that drives me absolutely fucking insane in this country. Like we’re the real life version of the bodies in the Matrix being used to generate power, except instead of sucking electrical current off of us they’re just sucking money.

This is the equivalent of saying, “Great credit score you’ve got there, be a shame if any thing happened to it because we accidentally didn’t pick up the equipment. Give us $750 or else.”

I did start that thread I talked about and I am going to go over some of the resources I’ve been looking at.

1 Like

How bad is the FICO decrease? If FICO is not impacted too badly, I’d just say fuck it. It will roll off eventually and collections companies are notorious for not reporting the pay off to the credit bureaus so you pay all the money for nothing. I had a collections hit on my FICO once and went into buy a car. F&I guy mentioned the hit and I said, “Yup I’m aware and I’ve disputed the debt with the collections agency”. I was able to finance the vehicle and I didn’t pay a higher %, IIRC.

Should you want to proceed forward, contact the collections company and negotiate the amount down. The collections company has already purchased the debt from DIRECTV so there may be an amount <$750 that they will agree to (WAG: They likely purchased the debt no higher than 50 cents on the dollar). Check out the handy negotiating tips! ITT. If possible, only release payment once you have written confirmation that collections company agrees to report the remedied payment to the credit bureaus.

Hopefully, you’ll get some responses from people that actually work in collections. I know collections debts can be negotiated, but I’m probably missing some steps and wrong on some details.

ETA: My dad recently cancelled his service and Fed Ex’d the equipment back to Direct TV. If you still have the equipment, might be worth a call to DIRECTV to see if you can resolve with them prior to reaching out to the collections agency.

1 Like

If you didn’t sneak in there at 2am and take a shit in the center of the living room you have failed miserably.

1 Like

re deposits. The house I was renting the one before last the landlords refused to give me my deposit back. I googled CA laws and saw the triple damages if they don’t provide an itemized list within 30 days. I requested it like a week after I moved out via email. Never got it. I started the process of getting the payment and within a month the " company " went bankrupt aka changed their name and I never got my deposit back. Pretty sure they did that a couple times a year to avoid paying people their deposits back.

I wasn’t too mad about it though because it was a party house. No damages, but I felt guilty as hell about how I rolled in that house. To be fair I was a 26 year old poker player and had a huge job core facility on one side and a house of college kids who partied too on the other so it seemed like nobody cared that much.

A bunch of my friends are DJs and my best friend as a side gig is a legit high level sound guy for big parties. So we had a huge professional sound system & DJ equipment and lived like 2 miles from a popular underground rave spot. So we regularly had 50+ people at the house raging well into the next day high on molly. Some of the best times in my life were in that house. Woke up too two girls in my bed a few times. I made the hugest mistake of my life by getting a girlfriend 1 year into the house who ended up being the worst girlfriend I ever had :(

GOAT night was we all took acid. One of the girls mentioned said I looked like Austin Powers because I have long hair and walked around in my boxers with a hairy chest. This led to lots of jokes, and eventually my friend brought me one of his moms blouses. I trained brazillian jiu jitsu for years, and the main culprit of the jokes who also brought me his moms blouse was a big guy, so my counter was I’d whoop his ass in his mommas blouse. People like to test me by wrestling and I’d take them all on like 3-4 guys in a row just taking them down and submitting them. The night on acid I’m rocking the blouse just fucking dudes up in his moms blouse, we got the fan going so its super windy in the house and I’m flowly as shit, and my friends GF loses her mind on the acid and is freaking out trying to fight another girl for flirting with her BF. So I’m just strolling around the house flowy as fuck dancing my ass off occasionally breaking up the drama, calming the girl down, then casually walking away dancing not giving a single fuck. Like this girl was freaking the fuck out and I just would walk away dancing and everyone was on acid and couldn’t stop laughing about it including the girl freaking out. Eventually this broke her bad trip because she was laughing so much at it. We went on to have an incredible night where I got together with this super cool marine biologist student for awhile from long beach.

Anyways " in yo mommas blouse " is still a regularly quoted joke by all my friends.

12 Likes

What makes the woat gf story even worse is i knew she sucked months into the relationship but her mom had died or cancer 3 months before we got together so when I tried to break up with her several times she cried a lot and I caved. She ended up being a complete sociopath that I stayed with for years smfh

1 Like

@StimAbuser’s security deposit advice is way better than mine.

1 Like

I am a miserable failure, then.

Join the club.

1 Like

Re rental deposits, I’ve only rented for two years in my adult life from two different landlords. Both times I announced I was leaving one month after the lease ended and was using the deposit as the rent. The first landlord didn’t care in the slightest but the second guy went ape but in the end didn’t do anything either. Im guessing that it didn’t hurt that both places were immaculate when I left.

Update: my current property management office won’t return my potential new landlord’s call as part of her background check.

I’m about ready to go to the newspaper before I’m even out of here and have my deposit back. Fuck these people.

I’m ready to go down there on Monday afternoon and ask them to step outside for COVID safety and then scream and yell and make a scene.

Update: I have no hot water again. I cannot even describe the amount of rage I’m feeling. This is going to be the third time in under three weeks I have to leave the apartment for a day and wipe everything down when I get back, not that they give a flying fuck because obviously I’m the only lunatic nutjob who believes we’re still in a fucking pandemic.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t have prompted them to close the door to that other place, you could have headed over there for a shower.

7 Likes

They almost always leave it unlocked anyway (lol), I’ve seriously considered it.

1 Like

Interesting statistics about Philadelphia rents:

https://twitter.com/TonyInStLouis/status/1290270281789919232

(I lived in different parts of Philadelphia for about 10 years and have very fond memories.)

1 Like