I want more modding, do you?

Oh right I had no ideas pms came across as creepy.

If you give the mods too much leeway in their decision making powers then all mod decisions have the appearance of personal decisions. This reinforces the idea that “mods have favorites” and “TLMHGTG” and you run the risk of someone who is modded taking it as a personal affront and leaving in a huff.

If the rules are too elaborate you have to deal with rules lawyers seeing just how close they can get to the line. These people get everyone pissed off at the mods for not doing anything to stop these horrible posters despite the rules being clear that there is nothing to be done.

Currently we aren’t really doing either and are stuck in a weird limbo; vague rules and a community that doesn’t want any modding to happen without a handful putting in their 2 cents on it.

I would say Keed was right if I hadn’t eaten recently and if he wasn’t saying what had been proposed way back on Unchained: Mods have authority to mod people but all mod decisions can be overturned by community feedback. This requires that mods document what they did and that there is a forum for discussion by the community. These don’t have to be the same thread, which as we’ve seen too often gets derailed into oblivion, but they both need to exist.

“Authority to mod people” in this case means taking actions more involved than requesting people to stop taking shots at each other, things like editing or deleting posts (a whole other conversation) to locking threads to temp bans.

To stop the tendency we have to talk something to death put a reasonable time limit on community feedback to an event and then take an up/down vote on it. If we gave an identifier to each mod action that could be used to name the discussion thread. This would be a place to excise any non-mod action posts in the mod-action thread and provide something that could be locked at the end of the discussion period.

This would be enough to get us started.

2 Likes

Well, now that you mention it I’m not all that sure about that. I mean, I don’t mind PMs, but have on many occasions thought about PMing someone and held off because I thought they would think it was weird. Maybe it’s just me?

P.S. People should feel free to PM me about the subject of this thread, or any other subject really.

2 Likes

That would require a coup.

So obviously I’m in favor.

1 Like

How else am I supposed to get supposedly confidential PMs that I can then broadcast in the thread as proof you suck?

1 Like

Agree, this here is the challenge I’ve tried to articulate a couple times in this thread.

(What is “TLMHGTG” though?)

Yes!

I’m not quite sure what you’re agreeing with or not agreeing with based on your first sentence. But it seems to me we do have a place for mods to document their actions and for the community to discuss them (the Log of Key Moderator Actions thread).

Right, and I’d add, if this is made progressive (i.e, consequences increase on an agreed-upon schedule), that should help rebut concerns about arbitrary, capricious, or biased modding.

This sounds a little over-complicated to me, but if that’s what it would take to get a community consensus on more active modding, I’d be for it.

Thanks for posting. I appreciate the thinking and input.

He’s just saying he hates me but I’m right

Weird, I sent you a PM but it must not have gotten through for some reasons. Could everyone else send ggoreo a PM to make sure it’s not just me?

2 Likes

This last marshmallow has gotten totally gross

1 Like

Origin story?

2 Likes

Here’s what I don’t really get. Every up or down vote to ban or contain a poster has failed. And yet a large part of the community is fed up with the petty squabbling. I’m not sure how to line those two things up.

4 Likes

How do you mod a forum where nobody has ever been wrong?

3 Likes

I’m not sure rules and guidelines on what mods should or should not do really matter. The simple fact is the mods do whatever they feel is appropriate and will not result in significant backlash. They’re not going over a checklist to make sure they’re in full compliance with §423.01a(rev. 2.3). Personally I think that’s fine, and there’s really no practical way to codify most of this stuff anyway.

What I do think is apparent is that there is a rough consensus that the moderators aren’t quite doing as much as many would prefer to keep things reasonably civil around here. There doesn’t seem to be a widespread desire for a Didsian iron fist, just for a little more effort to prevent the worst of the dumb drama, or at least lessen its frequency.

I also realize that some here don’t mind the dumb drama at all, and at times even enjoy it. But this is a place we all have to share, and that dumb drama is a huge turnoff for lots of people. We should be able to find a compromise where dumb drama is allowed its place in limited circumstances, but isn’t given the opportunity to metastasize and seriously impact the forum experience for the large majority who want nothing to do with it.

Cliffs: Moderators should moderate moderately more, but only in moderation.

13 Likes

Thank you, that was extremely unhelpful.

1 Like

Silent majority

S1E28, A Nice Place to Visit!

2 Likes

1 Like

Ive never been moderated here or 2p2 and id rather not have a more heavy hand or no insult rule. Partly because the insults just get woven into the arguments. And partly because this only comes up when they are directed at some but not others.

No one started a thread about the insults here. And yes i know they are going all directions. Still it seems people are ok with insults just not if they are made to the cool kids.

5 Likes

That’s confusing to me as well. For example, I think even in amongst this weekend’s drama there were some people arguing that Inso shouldn’t have been banned. Maybe I’m wrong and nobody was actually saying that, but it seems like there was some disagreement, when from my point of view it should have been a slam dunk turbo ban.

Anyway, I think maybe some folks here weight the “free speech” type of values more than the “be nice (or at least don’t be a complete asshole)” values. That’s a valid point of view.

For my part, I just think that with a small increase in anti-asshole policies and actions we can maintain the free speech values, but with less angst and drama. Shrug emoji

2 Likes