I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Tonight’s schedule includes medals in rowing, swimming and cycling.

:canada: vs :us: Rugby at 9pm ET

Definitely easier to root for some Americans if you’re not watching American coverage. The way the US media frames stuff is often insufferable.

Can’t we just root for all the athletes Donald Trump would hate?

All times Eastern

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/streaming-schedule

4 Likes

Can’t Miss Events of the Day:

9:30 pm ET

Swimming finals todays will feature the women’s 200m freestyle final.

Defending champion Katie Ledecky and Canadian Penny Oleksiak in the field.

3:30 am ET
Rugby Gold Medal Match

Semifinal New Zealand vs Great Britain at 10pm Agentina Vs Fiji at 10:30 pm

Rugby

1 Like

Hope we get a NZ vs Fiji matchup. Epic.

1 Like

I’ll basically root for the non western team in any sport. If it’s imperialist on imperialist violence I’ll root for the underdog.

Is it not the same for any local coverage? Australian coverage is so jingoistic it makes me want to vomit, especially considering so many of Australian athletes are bogans.

Yes, the team had an alternate available. If she didn’t think she could do well dropping out might be brilliant, we’re just used to athletes having to be dragged away. She had flubed her vault before dropping.

Aly Raisman's take from one of those stupid live blog articles where you can't link to an individual story

Three-time Olympic gold medalist Aly Raisman criticized USA Gymnastics and the US Olympic Committee today for a lack of leadership in supporting athletes following Simone Biles’ surprise exit from the women’s team gymnastic final.

“USA Gymnastics has been an absolute disaster for years and unfortunately not enough has changed for us to believe in a safer future, but I think this just really shows the lack of leadership [of] USA Gymnastics and the United States Olympic Committee,” she told CNN’s Jake Tapper.

Biles stepped away from Tuesday’s competition saying it was important she protect her mental wellbeing and that athletes were “people at the end of the day.”

Raisman also suggested Biles’ decision could be an indicator of greater disfunction inside the organizations that govern gymnastics for American athletes.

“Their best athlete is struggling … is there someone there to help her?” asked Raisman. “I don’t know. I’m not there, so I don’t know. But I think it’s an important question that we should be asking.”

“Does Simone have the support that she needs?” continued Raisman. “Do other athletes have the support that they need?”

Earlier in the interview, Raisman also drew from personal experience to describe the enormous pressure star athletes such as Biles face when under the global spotlight.

“It’s a tremendous amount of pressure,” she said. “…I feel for her so much and it’s a lot of pressure and I think that factored into it.”

“I’m completely devastated and I support her so much,” she added.

it’s not at all hard to fathom

Florida man wins swimming heat

agreed, but it happens

David Duval the golfer, Zack Greinke, Osaka, possibly Ronaldo on the eve of a World Cup final. just off the top of my head

what is your own experience with mental health?

:canada: :3rd_place_medal:

2 Likes

No pelvic thrusts this time? Just doesn’t feel right.

Edit: I guess on replay there was like a half of one.

Biden’s America.

1 Like

u salty lately

Rugby semis about to start. :smiley:

1 Like

Are swimming world records unattainable because of the now banned space suits?

What channel? Fuck this is confusing.