Homelessness

Scotland seems like a pretty hard place to be homeless considering the weather.

Being homeless as a teenager is obviously terrible. It’d be a million times easier as an adult man

At 1st it was difficult as a teen you need to be on your edge all the time, using the high flats stairwells at night was OK and finding 1 without being caught was harder, then using some old rundown flats all over the city at the time once I got some things together…

We used to build what we called Dens as kids out of old doors from the tenements, and we have old disused railway storage units with the wooden struts to help build something that’s warm and has little light out of with some branches.

Put in a bin with holes and a funnel like the old coal fires out into the night and its OK.

Then skip the trains into the centre of town to go for food and stuff…

That was my last stop before getting a place in the hostel as I had all the firewood I’d ever need :joy:

2 Likes

Which one?

1. DW is a trustworthy source
  2. You linked two articles from 2015
  3. Those articles are about training exercises

In case you already forget what happened:
you complained about the qualifier brown when talking about people who the US army kills. You brought up US involvement in one or more unspecified conflicts in Eastern Europe. When asked which ones you are referring to you posted articles about training exercises in 2015.

So my questions are what military conflict are US troops involved in in
a) Ukraine ?
b) Lithuania ? (you are aware that is a NATO member, right?)

So far we have zero people killed by US troops in Eastern Europe.

2 Likes

1999 ( 1 person)

3 Likes

Disagree. Obviously give to those in need but government program > individual donations.
For starters, homelessness is a failure of society and government to provide mental health care and affordable housing. They should address it.
They can run a much larger program than all the willing individuals combined. Those in need will also know where to find help. Matching donors to recipients on an individual basis will leave many unable to find a match. Instead of making non-rich people give one or a few pairs of socks the rich should be taxed more to the tune of thousands of pairs of socks.

3 Likes

I agree here and also because humans are assholes and try to take advantage of the weak and mentally ill they need protection from the corruption and capitalists.

2 Likes

None of the stuff at the end is necessarily true. Private aid is often done in large coordinated efforts. But, my point is that voting doesn’t really mean or accomplish much at all. And it’s not that the sum of all voting has less impact than the sum of all sock donations (although in the US anyway private donations and action may well add up to more than government aid), but that there’s no way that one vote adds up to as much impact as one donation.

(A vote on something like a measure or referendum to provide services probably does (we vote on stuff like that in CA) - but not voting for representatives)

1 Like

It’s the same here in the UK wrt Foster care and homes for kids and part of the problem was that the benifit system is for not fit for purpose for 16/25 year olds wrt housing costs.

My 2nd placement was at a place that was ideal for my situation with strict rules on who was allowed in the house as visitors and had social services + physiology help + an easing into the job market with no pressure from above to move and best of all was the friendly staff that gave no restrictions on the free food.

The place I was in before that was run for profit I assume because it was more expensive for housing costs with no free access to any services or general help.

Both where private organisations.

The salvation army has facilities here too & does try but lacks the money and had to start to let in users instead of there old policy of trying to get clean and in some sort of recovery program.

Guidance with no pressure and time to establish trust in the community again is very helpful to most and some help in domestic and general care is important to help in regaining some lost pride back.

Patience is most important when working with the homeless and being able to be offended and shrug it off.

It’s a rough job with few rewards and anyone who does it is an angel.

Our city is lucky that the police generally do not disturb the homeless or the panhandlers alough my deplorable mother was arguing with me on Tuesday that there all criminals and should be deported back.

4 Likes

Yeah she is off. The US does not care much about killing whites but we care even less about killing brown people.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1198347327389552647

4 Likes

Bingo.

Obvious implications are (a) absentee landlordism is the primary cause of homelessness, (b) folks (like US-style liberals) who believe that absentee landlordism ‘deserves’ to suck out 1/3 to 1/2 of working folks wages are really saying they 100% support continued systemic and institutional homelessness.

1 Like
6 Likes

Good

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/kristoncapps/status/1207012720027017218?s=19

1 Like

Unconstitutional, immoral, freedom hating, and it will be wildly popular.

( I wish I could say unamerican, but I can’t bring myself to suggest that loving freedom is American anymore)

2 Likes

The depth of their cruelty seems limitless. It’s so disgusting and depressing that a significant chunk of the population is ready to hop on board. What a fucked up world we’re leaving for our kids.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that. Good idea. I’ve been looking at this cheaprvliving.com forum and youtubes. It’s a very interesting community. They started having gatherings like 10 years ago with like 20 people from a facebook group and now they have like 10000 people at their Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. They have started a non-profit where they help some people get vans or get vans modified for living and they are looking for land for people to freely park on. They have loosely organized caravans that travel together in free places (BLM or National Parks) chasing habitable weather. There are similar groups that have started with some overlap. The guy who started it doesn’t talk politics much, but he has described himself as an anarchist.

2 Likes