Home improvement

Yes, but… why? There are no clear benefits. Or even opaque benefits. I wouldn’t trust it any more than the Schluter system, and I’d trust it a lot less than a one piece vinyl liner.

• Vinyl liner goes down with a razor knife, stapler and PVC cement
  • Schluter shower tray goes down with the same trowel and mortar as the tile
  • Hot mop has torches and tar and nasty fumes and multiple layers of felt paper and I can’t even imagine the cleanup
1 Like

Yeah, I’d much rather work with HOT TAR in a small, enclosed space.

I paid a hot mop company to do it. They didn’t make a mess. I have no reason to believe it will fail.

How much does that Schluter thing cost?

Maybe next time, if there is a next time.

Why is because the guys who remodel bathrooms told me to do it.

1 Like

The trays cost about $100 and can be put down in a couple hours by one person.

I did some googling because this is fascinating me. Apparently it is pretty much just a southern CA thing, and everybody not in southern CA is like, “lol it’s the 21st century wut r u doing?”

To be clear I expect the hot mop system to perform just fine, it’s just archaic.

1 Like

This was also fascinating me. If I hired a tile guy and he showed up with some roofing felt and tar I would tell them to gtfo. I called up my dad who was a contractor in California. He laughed and said “ yea I did a bunch of hot mopped shower pans but the last one I did had to be in 1972.” He also informed me they would also break off pieces of the tar brick and chew on them like bubble gum… both seem like terrible ideas.

2 Likes

Seems like it’s industry standard and they have been doing it this way for 60years in southern cal so I wouldn’t worry to much. I just couldn’t believe it when I saw it. Shower pan systems have been argues about for years. I hate doing them and always push for inserts like Ziczac was recommending.

Cool. I watched that and another Schluter video and it looks like something I could handle if the need ever arises.

1 Like

Schluter is more expensive than vinyl liner, and they want you to buy into their whole ecosystem, but I gather it’s pretty easy. When we bought our house ~8 years ago the seller had to fix a leaking shower in the master BR and some guy came out and hot mopped it. It seemed like some old-timey thing from the 1800s, but it was a young guy doing it. Now we’re redoing it and I’m probably going to go vinyl.

1 Like

Vinyl liner is minimum 2 days before you can start setting tile. Schluter is ~3 hours.

I have never heard or read about anybody who regrets using Schluter stuff. I’ve done 6 floors and 3 showers with it over the past few years and you couldn’t pay me enough to use (or warranty) an older method.

1 Like

Is this something a homeowner’s insurance policy would cover if it gets pricey. I think at least some plumbing leaks are covered.

1 Like

I think there is a gasket in there. It’s possible you need to replace it or perhaps put some of that gasket lube stuff on it.

We have air duct cleaning guys in the house today. Is that a service where I should tip them?

wat

No, of course not. There aren’t any home maintenance services where a tip is expected, and damn few cases where it’s warranted.

Haha good to know. I’m a first time home-owner so it’s all new to me. Thanks!

There is a possible exception for the “pool boy”, but that’s something else entirely.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll just let my wife handle that one.

2 Likes

We found an all around handyman type that does a great job. So far he’s pressure washed, sanded, and stained our deck. He also installed some new baseboards in the finished area of our basement, and hung some sliding closet doors and some shelves. I’ve been giving him a good tip even though he works for himself, mostly because it’s almost impossible to find somebody that actually shows up and does a good job when you only have small jobs that need to be taken care of. I’m hoping the extra cash we’ve been throwing his way incentivizes him to keep coming back for small jobs.

Something like that is reasonable, and some of my customers will throw a little extra on top sometimes if I go above and beyond. But you should never feel obligated to tip somebody doing work at your house for routine service.

There’s only been one time in my career where I expected more and didn’t get it. Old guy, friend of the family I’ve known for many years who I’ve done a couple smaller jobs for in the past, needed a hand with something that took me a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon. I finished up and he asked, “What do I owe you?” I said, “Oh whatever, just give me $20.” Fucker gave me $20.

Not sure what level you’re on, but it is possible you might need to read the Suzzer poolboy chronicles before taking this approach.

2 Likes

I’m on the appropriate (or inappropriate) level, but that’s something I’d definitely be interested in reading.