History Of The World From A Gambler’s Perspective: A Scholarly Discussion

$20

it’s me, I’m the dumb one. I feel really silly about a post I made above after reading that chapter. I am hate reading this now.

Like, I’m mostly just disappointed rather than mad. He had what was actually a potentially interesting thesis and idea (to me).

2 Likes

And please leave a blisteringly honest review on Amazon.

5 Likes

Onion.

6 Likes

J,

I wouldn’t worry about posting excepts. Mason has the worst f**king attorneys.

Yours,

GYC

1 Like

The Israelites knew that Goliath was so vulnerable that they waited forty days before challenging him.

I’m assuming this book is a bunch of hindsight used to justify results-oriented thinking.

1 Like

Thinking, you say?

2 Likes

The David and Goliath analysis is especially terrible because it could be an interesting gambling story but he took the wrong angle (i.e. David was actually the favorite).

Instead, the analysis should be that Goliath was so strong that he was a huge favorite over whoever they sent. So rather than send their best warrior who would put up a good fight but still almost certainly lose, they decided to gamble and went with David. If Goliath was able to close on David, he would be dead in seconds, but if he managed to get a lucky sling in, he could win. Basically the standard point that when you’re a big underdog in a winner take all situation, you want to do everything to increase variance as that maximizes your EV.

10 Likes

and now, the most poorly constructed sentence I have ever read:

And this was Thermistocles’ gamble. He would give up a small chance to win – a defensive battle in the open ocean; and risk having no chance to win – Xerxes follows proper strategy and bottles up the Greek fleet; to a much larger chance to win – Xerxes wants a quick and glorious victory and is willing to risk losing maneuverable superiority in close quarters.

I’ve honestly read it 6 times now and despite typing it out, I still have no idea what’s going on. If you are a grammar nit do NOT read this book.

10 Likes

It’s all Greek to me.

10 Likes

22 Likes

If you’re a grammar nit, you’d probably have given up 2p2 books long before this.

1 Like

I’m still trying to figure out why there is earnest and very specific speculation about David & Goliath in a history book. Perhaps later chapters will delve into Santa Claus’ big gamble having Rudolph run point.

32 Likes

I wish Amazon would allow reviewers the choice between leaving a written review or posting the trainwreck.gif

Missed a bookclub opportunity here but ty for taking one for the team, j.

2 Likes

Oh man I busted out laughing so hard at this.

This book looks amazing, I kind of want to buy it.

1 Like

Come on, why do this?

1 Like

Who are “you guys”, on what grounds would he sue, and in what jurisdiction?

So, you’re saying I shouldn’t offer to buy the book and scan it so that no one else has to?

He’s going to sell like 12 copies and 10 are going to be to Unstuckers to mock him.

8 Likes