Healthcare USA #1

Not exactly. There are two issues:

1. Are you getting shitty drugs because of incompetence or corruption? I don’t know, but I’d assume the former. You seem to assume the latter. That is fine.

2. Is “regulatory capture” corruption (as you put it) different from “envelopes of cash handed under the table” corruption. I think they are basically the same thing. You don’t.

1 Like

I think drug companies know how much product they’re putting into the drug. I don’t think they’re just accidentally not adding enough methylphenidate out of incompetence.

I also would bet a lot of money they lobbied for the 80-125% blanket rule, and are fighting any efforts to refine the rule, knowing damn well it shouldn’t apply to some drugs. That’s regulatory capture.

That’s not the incompetence I’m talking about. I’m talking about the regulators being incompetent. Maybe they were just too/lazy dumb to realize that 80-125% wasn’t good enough for everything and just accepted whatever data was provided by the drug companies.

I’m not saying it definitely happened that way. As a general rule, I just assume incompetence first before corruption. I don’t have a huge problem if someone wants to go the other way on that. As long as we all realize that in the absence of proof, we’re all just assuming stuff.

The rule could be fixed. There’s been ample evidence that it’s not sufficient for some drugs for a while now.

Not fixing it and letting it pass in the first place are two different things.

If what you say is true, then I’d agree that not fixing it sounds more like corruption than incompetence.

That doesn’t mean that letting it pass in the first place was.

This exchange could go on until the heat death of the universe couldn’t it? :smiley:

99% of the time I just let it go rather than start one of these with you. Today was the 1%. I hope you enjoyed but I think we’re done.

1 Like

Doubtful. I’m not sure what more there is to say. I’m not even sure we actually disagree on anything other than what the default assumption should be for the cause of shitty laws. And that’s just a matter of opinion.

Then let’s see if you’re able to not get the last word w/o your head exploding. :crazy_face:

I’m just giving you shit btw. I know you aren’t trying to troll or anything.

By “one of these days” I guess you mean “posted in this thread three years ago”:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-09-12/how-carcinogen-tainted-generic-drug-valsartan-got-past-the-fda

At least 80% of the active pharmaceutical ingredients, or APIs, for all drugs are made in Chinese and Indian factories that U.S. pharmaceutical companies never have to identify to patients, using raw materials whose sources the pharmaceutical companies don’t know much about. The FDA checks less than 1% of drugs for impurities or potency before letting them into the country.

But what Mr. Baker uncovered in six years of doing foreign inspections exposed the dangerous compromises behind the production of generic drugs, and the F.D.A.’s limits as a global regulatory agency.

On his second day at the Wockhardt plant, Mr. Baker and a colleague caught an employee trying to smuggle out a garbage bag of documents. The documents led Mr. Baker to discover that the plant had knowingly released into Indian and other foreign markets vials of insulin containing metallic fragments.

Is that bad? It sounds really bad.

1 Like

suzzer I’m guessing something was purposely done to make uptake slower, not the potency of the drug

Edit: maybe not as I read the thread further

Here’s a Reuters special report on it from a decade ago:

Yup… and you get paid like shit compared to basically every other specialty save pediatrics.

Well paid “like shit” in this case is often something over 200K, so no one is gonna shed too many tears for them. But I can understand feeling a little salty going through everything they had to go through for that amount.

I know an FP who makes way more than that but it’s not really from the practice of medicine. He started out on his own and the built out multiple offices and staffed them with other providers (mostly non-physician). He only sees patients one day a week, and the bulk of his income comes from profit from the practice. Some of the other docs have a piece of ownership but he still owns the majority. Last time we spoke he was planning to sell out to some big hospital group at some point. He may have already done it. I’m sure he will make a killing on that.

But he’s an outliar of course.

Compared to. Jeez you just can’t stop yourself

Not sure what your problem is bud. I didn’t disagree with anything you said in that post.

I realize your reading comprehension is shit, but this is worse than I thought.

I’m at the doctor’s office right now. I know they’re going to have me pee in a cup, so I made sure to drink some water this morning. Big mistake. I’m sitting here, early for my appointment, and I’m about to get uromysotisis poisoning.

1 Like

Just asked for a cup and go to the bathroom, they should be able to accommodate that

@CaffeineNeeded , what do you think about NP’s and PA’s acting as primary care doctors in rural or underserved areas? Maybe under their license if necessary.

I don’t know the rules on stuff like that, but it seems to me that a significant percentage of the people that came to the ED don’t require emergent treatment. And if NP’s and PA’s could prescribe meds, make care plans for diabetic patients, diagnose and treat strep throat, etc…

It seems to me like a no brainer way to improve health care accessibility and reduce drag for everyone

Good call. I just pissed straight water.