Healthcare USA #1

I thought the “good lord” was in reaction to a guy with a $1.3M net worth going to a hospital, getting some tests done, and then asking if he should “fight” the $300 bill he received for it.

When did that come up?

I guess if Riverman was saying “Good Lord, OP is an idiot”. That would be a whole lot closer to my reaction why I read it. Even ignoring his NW.

It didn’t in the thread. Someone else in the thread made an allusion to his “posting history” as if this was a common theme/trend for OP. I didn’t really see that, but I did see his post in the “net worth progression” thread.

Yeah, I doubt Riverman is going to rely on everyone knowing that when making his ‘Good lord’ post.

I posted it to laugh at the Bogleheads OP

2 Likes

Well that is the proper reaction, but seems a bit out of place in this thread specifically.

If it was in LC, I think your meaning would have been clearer.

A year after my daughter’s COVID scare premature birth and NICU stay, my insurer and hospital are still sending each other letters saying the other one has not properly filled out the form or gotten the proper authorization to continue with claims or appeals.

I don’t think anyone has gotten paid yet.

Great system.

edit: forgot to add neither party has contacted me or my wife, though my 1 year old has gotten many letters detailing the back and forth.

6 Likes

Legit lol

Same thing happened to me when I got my booster at Walgreens. I’m like welp might as well pay up cause I know I’m not bothering to get one if I don’t do it right now.

Time for her to take some personal responsibility imo. If she can’t navigate a simple 3 party negotiation at this point she’s ready going to struggle when it comes time for a checkup.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1475529419812974595

1 Like

I like it. That’s something people might actually respond to.

Having said that, didn’t one of the COVID bills include COVID coverage for everyone. I guess it won’t get insured people out of their copays and deductibles, but I really don’t know.

https://twitter.com/micahjohnsonmd/status/1478871365537128465?s=21

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1483108863217909764?s=21

The usual debt ratio purchase is about $1 for every $100, but RIP Medical Debt was able to obtain a more favorable rate in Tulsa County of $1 for every $240.

This absolutely blows my mind. People’s lives are thrown into turmoil because hospitals won’t eat 1/100th - 1/240th of the bills they can’t collect. For the hospitals that money is essentially gone. But they turn it over to collections anyway as a punishment and deterrent.

When it’s impossible to deter people with no money.

The cruelty is the point.

I wrote some time back about trying to help my parents age into Medicare optimally which was a ridiculously small needle to thread for reasons. A few months ago, my dad received a letter from his retiree insurance benefits manager stating that his plan would be changing in 2022 which was the only trigger needed to terminate it and, in theory, grandfather him into a Plan F supplement (Plan F is the one with no deductible / co-pay / $0 OOP max and was replaced by Plan G). Finally, after an absolutely stupid number of phone calls and hours on hold, everything appears to have worked and both of my parents have fully transitioned into Medicare in a way that maximally benefits them to the best of my ability and knowledge. Sigh of relief.

8 Likes

The good/bad news is that most of us probably won’t have to deal with all of that bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo when we get to that age because there’s no way the decades-long GOP Insanity Trifecta From Hell doesn’t nuke Medicare and Medicaid from orbit.

Instead, in 30 years, we’ll get to fill out like eight pages of forms to get our one free annual COVID test reimbursed, then spend like three hours on the phone arguing with a computer-AI customer service line about why they rejected it.

1 Like

Right, my goal was to make sure that they got everything coming to them during my lifetime. I already know I’m fucked and have zero hope.

1 Like