Healthcare USA #1

Highly doubt this is a unique American phenomenon, but I’m not aware of work done outside of the USA on this topic.

It’s also not what the work shows in America either. People get satisfaction of getting what they want in the work I’m looking for, which was basically more surgery. It wasn’t about complaining to the doctor or anything

I agree that it’s not uniquely American. This attitude clearly arises from consumerist attitudes which, sure, didn’t originate with and are not unique to America. But you guys are certainly the best at it!

If I’m reading your comment correctly, I also think the notion of wanting surgery because that’s the best type of medical service is entirely consistent with consumer culture. It’s basically demanding the “best” service because the consumer doesn’t want to get ripped off by getting some alternative treatment. But I may be misreading your comment.

What a great country. I wonder how it is for tourists. I got a global health insurance through my credit card. Will they even take me to the hospital or are they leaving me because they know they cant bill me or my insurance provider probably wont pay over 1k bucks for a 10 minute drive to a hospital. :smiley:

Who says they can’t bill you? Is that in the insurance somehow?

Lol I just checked for giggles. Apparently my german health insurance wouldnt pay for anything in the USA or Thailand because there is no social security agreement with these countries. Usually thats where the global health insurance would kick in.

And even if you were covered, USA#1 hospitals would still come after you for anything the German insurance refused to pay.

Required by law to transport, evaluate and stabilize than you. Law is called EMTALA.

My global health insurance would pay for me to get home. So if I am fit for transport I will get home and get the care there.

I’ve run into this situation once, but I was only a med student. We did end up flying this guy who was super sick to another continent. Still though, I’m guessing they wouldn’t do that if you had appendicitis or something similar

I got no insurance in America. When I go back to see my family, it’s all out of pocket. Paid way too much for covid testing.

y’all covid testing is free. use the federal website to find a clinic that does it for free

Last December?

Had to get a rapid test last minute at the airport due to changing policies in the EU. No insurance accepted for those. Bad news was the ridiculous price I had to pay. The good news was that the plane to Amsterdam was nearly empty.

Could’ve paid way less for one that would take 5 days to receive the results. Of course I had to have one within the previous 72 hours to get on. Nice work America.

I’m getting angry. I have no stop.

I mean, does the USA set the rules for flying into Europe? Should we be prioritizing international travelers? Your gripe seems to be that it is difficult to travel internationally during a pandemic.

CN, I’m not gonna relive 8 months ago past this post. You want the last word then you got it.

My gripe was that I had to get back home so I could go back to work and a last second policy change by the EU with no advance notice nearly prevented that from happening.

If America had a healthcare system that could get test results back in 3 days, there wouldn’t be an issue. Unfortunately, the urgent care facility I went to could only guarantee it in 5 days.

Insurance isn’t that expensive for tourists to the US, my girlfriend and I paid about US$135 for travel insurance for a 3 week trip to the US in 2018, that included unlimited $ coverage for medical expenses.

Wait, insurance for tourists is like a tenth of the cost compared to USA residents? That’s a good system we have here.

This actually doesn’t sound surprising to me. Utilization by tourists has to be super low - no one is going to the doctor on vacation unless its an absolute emergency.

1 Like

Two of my friends have to do this corporate wellness crap or their premiums go way up. They have to spend like an hour a week logging steps and sleep times and shit.

So dystopian.

@pvn in 3, 2, 1…

1 Like

Just get a Fitbit. Steps and sleep times and amounts are shown daily and compiled at the end of each week. I pay attention to that stuff just for monitoring my own lifestyle.

eta: I got my Fitbit from the megacorp I worked for at the time as part of a health initiative.