Healthcare USA #1

Another incentive is that they get to kick the bigger procedure expense down the road. Given that the average tenure of a Healthcare company CEO is 3 years, they’re driven to maximize short term financial gain and they could care less about long term savings or savings to the Healthcare system.

The more procedures they deny, the better the financials will look this year, the bigger their bonus, and the higher the likelihood they will be recruited to a larger company with higher pay where they’ll rinse and repeat the same thing.

Going to dentist in the CR was quite intriguing compared to the UK and US.

I dropped a message on Prague Expats and received a recommendation for an English-speaking dentist. That one was a 10 minute walk from my flat. I called to get an appointment and was able to get one scheduled for the next day. That’s crazy. I was a first-time patient which means that I normally take way more time to register with them. The average wait time for a first-time appointment in the US is 24 days. In the UK, I waited about a week for a cleaning at a private dentist. I had to use a private dentist and pay out-of-pocket because dentists who take NHS patients have a waitlist of up to 50,000 patients.

At the dentist in the CR, they would tell me what procedure they were about to do and whether or not my insurance would cover it. If they didn’t cover it, they’d tell me the price before I consented. Since the people in question were dental hygienists, they mostly did X-rays and checkups which were covered. Oddly enough, government insurance doesn’t cover cleanings in the Czech Republic. It covers the basics for maintaining your teeth but little beyond that.

I haven’t been to the dentist in the US since I was an undergrad and neglected it quite a bit for my adult life due to an irrational fear (perhaps a phobia) of dentists. That said, I don’t ever recall that type of ritualistic process when receiving oral care in the US. It seemed as though they did what needed to be done and got it sorted out later. In the UK, I went to a private dentist but had to ask in advance what the cost was. They didn’t actually tell me until I asked. Makes me wonder if they would’ve told me at all if I didn’t ask.

The UK dentist basically looked at my teeth, did some x-rays, and said that I was good to go. Said that I didn’t even need a cleaning even though it had been way too long since my last trip to the dentist. I actually asked for one anyway since I suspected that I needed it. They seemed to rush through it and told me to come back in a year.

Well, I waited 10 months from that time to get a checkup in the CR and the hygienist here was incredibly thorough. She was discovering things that were completely ignored by the one at the UK. Most of my fillings are cracked and probably have been for a while since I got them as a kid. The ones in the US were likely pretty thorough as well but again, I was a kid.

The problem with dentists in the CR is while a bunch of what they do is free under Czech insurance, they compensate by making anything beyond the basics fairly expensive. 1500 koruna (about $63) doesn’t sound like much for a cleaning compared to America but when taking the typical Czech salary into account it’s actually quite a lot. Some other places may do cheaper cleanings but rarely below 1000 koruna.

I must continue my CR dentist experience at a different place since the first one doesn’t do tooth extractions. The positive is that I got an appointment for a week from now and tooth extractions are covered under Czech insurance.

So, here’s dentistry in the CR
+You rarely have to wait long for appointments or wait long in the waiting room
+Very thorough and deliberate when working with you
+A lot of basic things are covered by government insurance (basic checkups, x-rays, tooth extraction, anasthesia)
-Things that aren’t are expensive relative to salary

Dentistry in the UK
-Nearly impossible to get NHS treatment due to massive wait lists
-Maybe the standard of dental care is low. Either that or I got unlucky with who I went to.
+Private dentistry is not that expensive compared to the average salary

Dentistry in the US
+Probably quality treatment
-Insurance fuckery common
-Long wait times both for an appointment and in the waiting room

This is probably standard and everyone knows this? But even though I had a qualifying event as a result of losing my job and signed up for Covered CA the day I found out, it’s a month before the insurance kicks in. So I’m sitting here with no insurance until July. And of course I’ve been to a few protests which I am now suspending until June 27th or so.

Completely absurd policy. No reason government health insurance doesn’t kick in the day you get fired.

And yeah, Cobra, I know, but come on, I’d rather game with no insurance for a month.

This is also because my job didn’t let me know I was let go on 5/31 until early June, despite them sending me a letter in mid-May that said my benefits would continue “through June.” Could probably sue them if I need medical care, I guess.

I think we all knew what was coming

1 Like

In Germany its kinda similar. There is some basic stuff covered but the better stuff you pay yourself. Fillings with the cheapest material cost nothing if you want a filling that looks better and closes the gaps between teeth better it will cost you. For a long time I had a dentist who I thought was good but after i moved I had to get a new one. So first examination and her checkup was something completely different. Very thorough but she also often advocates for the better stuff.
So I get a call twice a year for the checkup(whichs is for free) and do one professional cleaning(70-80€) once a year. After the initial repairs I am now in and out for the checkup for the last few years because everything is fine.

A better filling costs me about 390€.
A dental crown costs 492€, my insurance pays 175 and I am left with the rest. The amount the insurance pays depends on your checkup status. I think its 20% flat, 10% if you were for a yearly checkup in the last 5 years and another 5% if you were yearly during the last 10 years.

Getting your teeth done should pretty high on everyone’s list since there are a lot of health risks associated with bad teeth.

Yes. That is true.

I’m not looking forward to next week’s wisdom tooth pulling. Probably gonna have a swollen jaw for like a week.

A dentist in the UK didn’t want to clean your teeth? Shocked.

1 Like

This is because you can legally freeroll COBRA for at least a month without paying the premium. In your spot, I paid the COBRA premium like a total fish. AWESOME SYSTEM

I think they’ll win. 22 million people.

We literally have President Supervillian.

Given that Biden is in favor of a public option, couldn’t he just draft an EO allowing anyone to sign up and pay for Medicare?

It’s not universal healthcare, but it would be a great first step.

1 Like

Not really. Supervillains are smart. Trump is more like a mirror that reflects the worst parts of America - the willful ignorance, the racism, the unearned privilege. Is that supervillains?

This is obviously terrible, but it also seems absolutely moronic as an election strategy.

1 Like

So if they win, anyone who bought coverage off the exchange is out on their ass immediately? Or 1/1?

As someone with pre-existing conditions mid-pandemic, I assume this being repealed means I’m 110% fucked. I assume my premiums would be at least a few grand a month.

It getting repealed might be the best thing that could happen for your health honestly.

Long term perhaps, but not in the middle of a pandemic. And terrible for my wealth if I try to pay for insurance.

Without insurance, if I get COVID-19, I’m straight fucked. My odds of being bankrupt or dead are pretty good.

Realistically if they win and repeal it, we’re probably going a few years without a better plan being implemented. We’re also probably still not getting single payer yet.

Even if Dems take the senate you need them to eliminate the legislative filibuster, good luck

If the ACA is repealed, they’ll put in something slightly better if they have all three. No more, no less. It’ll have some sort of public option, but it’ll also throw more money at subsidies for private insurance and allow states to opt out or something.

It won’t happen this year.

1 Like