Healthcare USA #1

Yea I guess only one works now and I’m not 100% on what it is but that was discussed and I get it. I did make a point to say I thought the whole industry was garbage but what you gonna do. I think it was constructive conversation at least

Here scripts can have repeats and you can have the pharmacy retain them, so you just have to organise another one a little in advance. The pharmacy will only hand out the repeat scripts at the appropriate time, so it’s like you get a fortnight’s worth of oxy but repeated 5 times or whatever.

Scumbags

1 Like

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1173606626315530240

2 Likes

But can they fax/email your oxy rx to the pharmacy or do you have to physically get it from the doctor? Here they write me two and I pick them up. So every other month I drive to hospital located in the Traffic District, park in the garage, walk through all the lobby bullshit, etc. It takes over an hour and then another trip to pharmacy in a different part of town.

The problem is the inbred office staff fucks it up > 50% of the time which results in me having days with no meds. I have to cancel my plans, like missing my brother’s first child being born this weekend. They can just fax/phone it over or something like every other rx I’ve had that has a 0% fuck up rate?

The point I’m trying to make is it feels like I’m doing an awful lot of hoop jumping because OH NOES some people abuse controlled substances. This prevention system seems to be working really well with almost a million dead now since 1997.

They can regular mail the script to the pharmacy, fax/email not good enough, too open to duplication.

Laws have changed - Nevada recently changed to fax/hard copies only (there is a provision for phoning in meds in an emergency, but we’ve been told they’re auditing 100% of those scripts, so neither docs or pharmacies are hot to do it) - but I believe fax scripts are still OK if you find a doc office with a fax, I suppose. A cursory look showed no provision for E-mail scripts, probably because they’d be too easy to fake. But it’s all state specific, AFAIK.

Per federal law, no refills on C II meds. C III and IV, up to 5 refills over 6 months, although fewer and fewer docs are willing to write for those, for obvious reasons.

It’s not changing any time soon (like never) - maybe look for a doc who has less inbreds in the office?

MM MD

I have a pimple, small cyst? in manarea that I’d like looked at, sucker play to go to urgent care (would be paying out of pocket)? May finally get around to connecting to a PCP this year but I have to lose some pounds and get hot and sexy first.

I think they can e-prescribe here with the proper software but just don’t. Under federal law it’s also permissible to call in a C-III+ just not a C-II, right? If it’s this much of a pain in the ass for me, I’m trying to imagine what it would be like for poor people who work and use public transportation. It must be nearly impossible for them.

maybe look for a doc who has less inbreds in the office?

Drawing thin on that one.

Federal law - but I think ( don’t know, but I’m pretty sure) that states can stack
on additional restrictions if they like. But yeah, AFAIK (and per the DEA website)
schedule II are the ones that can’t be called in.

Good luck.

MM MD

Totally unforeseen

Welp I’m in a blind rage to start my day again.

I was diagnosed today with a heart murmur. From the sounds of it I assume it’s the most adorable of the cardiovascular diagnoses but apparently it’s this whole big deal. Gotta see a cardiologist soon. Could require nothing at all, could require more/different meds. Or a heart cath. Or open heart surgery. The possibilities are limited only by our imaginations, and my health insurance. Sucks.

Luckily, the chances you would need open heart are vanishingly small.

Assuming you’re more or less in the average demographic around here (BTW your music is noise and get off my lawn and pull up your goddam pants), you’re either going to have a mitral murmur (nothing) or an aortic murmur. (This assumes you’re not an IV drug user which makes things more complicated). If you have an aortic murmur secondary to a bicuspid aortic valve things get a little complicated (which you were born with). .

The management is straightforward but controversial, if that makes sense - people with a biscuspid valve are prone to aneurysm, endocarditis (infections) and aortic stenosis, none of which you want - so some people argue pretty strongly that you should have the valve replaced BEFORE any of that stuff happens, especially as young people (under 50 or so) tolerate invasive procedures better that old farts (such as myself)

Luckily (maybe for you, certainly for others) in the last few years the large majority of people can get their valve replaced via a catheter maneuver rather then having their chest cracked, meaning you’re home in 24-36 hours instead of a 7 day hospital stay and months of rehab. It’s called a TAVR procedure, if you need to look it up - use either WebMD or Mayo sites… One of my partners had the procedure and was back at work in a week.

MM MD

3 Likes

I avoid WebMD like the plague since I spent a night and a day in the hospital thinking I had a heart attack which turned out to be indigestion

That name is the MillionthVisitorReward.exe of insurance company names. It might as well be called Scam Inc.

Just in terms of understanding what a TAVR is, should you need one.

Don’t feel bad - we admit a lot of chest pain patients that don’t end up having heart issues, and sometimes I’m surprised in sorting the sheep and goats. It’s not an exact science.

MM MD

1 Like

HIPPA schmippa

1 Like

Hate to stereotype, but the regular mentions of praying and “God taking care of it” leads me to believe the folks in the article likely elected our most Christian of presidents, Trump.

Probably belongs in the leopard eating faces thread…

1 Like

Yeah that and they didn’t want to go on the ACA exchange because they had heard bad things. Better let google handle it instead.

1 Like