Healthcare USA #1

Fairly considerate of the hospital to bundle everything together like that. I had something like 40 different claims ranging from $27 - $219k and it was a little bit of a pain to track.

this seems to be the standard procedure here as well, wife goes in for a very routine outpatient procedure, I then get 19 different bills from the same hospital, and if you’re like 3 seconds late paying any one of them they get a collection agency involved immediately rather than just call you. Yeah shitbags, I’ve paid all 18 bills but I’m gonna fuck you on this $23 bill that got lost in the goddamn pile of paper you dumped on me, go fuck yourselves. Honestly I should just stop paying anything until they shell out some cash to get the collection agency involved just to fuck them out of that money.

5 Likes

I don’t think they pay the collection agency. They likely sell the debt to them. So they would probably make money on you then.

1 Like

The collection agency we used worked on commission, with their cut increasing with the age of the debt.

1 Like

Love how most of the lower numbers are a person and the higher numbers some ridiculous fee

Physical therapy $3,000
Convenience Fee $90,000
Anesthesia $5,000
Fee Fee $125,000
Occupational Therapy $2,000
Building Fee $85,000

1 Like

In that case, sounds like the best solution would be to start your own collection agency and pay off your bill at a 90% discount.

6 Likes

Pretty sure they hire monkeys to smash their heads on calculators and then just charge whatever number they happen to smash into it to patients.

That’s actually not to far off. They have a listing of every procedure, this is for us hospitals, and they each have prices that were often set Willy nilly a long time ago and just increased over time to outrun inflation. There is no rhyme or reason to the majority of pricing and why it is so disparate from one hospital to the next.

I obviously don’t know the details of his visit but the charges look like stuff that should be covered under the federal No Surprises Act. If you have health insurance you shouldn’t be getting billed by the hospital for emergency care beyond your plan’s copays/deductibles and max out of pocket.

Plus, they usually take so fucking long to send the bill that I don’t remember what it was for. Was this for when my kid went to the ER? When he followed up a week later? Oh, this is for my wife’s doctor’s visit?

And it’s always one bill for the hospital visit, another for the doctor, another for some other shit.

dlk9s jr was in the hospital over a month ago and we’ve received one bill - for the ambulance. I so look forward to the other bills, especially because we’re going to get twice as many as we should. The first hospital said he had appendicitis, but it wasn’t a children’s hospital, so they couldn’t do the surgery. They sent him in an ambulance to a children’s hospital. The surgeon there looked at his scans (and they did some more physical tests) and said it wasn’t appendicitis.

SWEET! An unnecessary ambulance ride and ER visit! What’s nuts, too, is that the doctor at the first hospital tried to get them to give the green light to do the operation, since my son is just a few months shy of their age requirement. So he was ready to cut into my kid for no reason.

1 Like

One such hospital system is RWJBarnabas Health, a large nonprofit chain in New Jersey, whose CEO made a whopping $17 million in 2021, while the hospital system only spent 1.65 percent of its nearly $6 billion in revenue on charity care.

In addition to failing to provide low-income patients with free or lower-cost care, some of the health systems ruthlessly sought payment, sending patients to collection agencies, placing liens on their property, and garnishing wages.

1 Like

Allina Health is in MN pretty sure I’ve been to their clinics before, they seem to be the scammiest ones, nice!

Jesus christ there are hospital systems out here with 20+ billion in yearly revenue? great system

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4283643-1-in-4-us-medical-students-consider-quitting-most-dont-plan-to-treat-patients-report/

This story is crazy. What John Hopkins did was unfathomable. This award does not include punitive award I think.

There is a doc on Netflix about this case.

Well that was heartbreaking. Sounds like she’s doing ok now physically?

That article reads like it was written by a 16 year old intern. The reader shouldn’t have to wait until midway through the article for a basic explanation as to the court case, and when I stopped reading it I still didn’t know her child’s age at the time she was removed or really anything else significant about the case.

3 Likes

It’s a local news story where the assumption is people already know the basics and the new information is the verdict.

Yeah I just posted up news of the verdict, sorry it wasn’t a better recap though, sincerely. I am going to watch the doc though.

Our healthcare system keeps finding new ways to send me into a rage.

I need to get an MRI arthrogram of my hip. Was previously injured, surgically repiared, and then possibly reinjured last June. MRI of course wasn’t covered until I did 12 weeks of PT. Did that, went back to the surgeon last month, finally got the MRI approved and a follow up with the surgeon scheduled. Couldnt get the MRI at the Drs preferred facility, insurance only covered a different company. The MRI was scheduled for tomorrow. I had to take off work and move things around to make it happen, and for the follow up appt next week. This was all squared away WEEKS AGO.

Just got a call from the radiology office that this type of MRI can’t be done at the location they scheduled me at (5 mins from my home), only at two locations both 45 mins away. Ok whatever, move my appointment to either location tomorrow please.

Nope, can’t do that

Soonest available appointment is FUCKING DECEMBER 4TH. FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKING FUCKHEADS. Now have to reschedule the follow up appointment as well, and figure out how to get out of work two more days. And I still don’t know the extent of my injury. I just want this dealt with. I wanted it dealt with in June when I reinjured it. I want competence from these people. Just the bare minimum level of competence. Jesus fucking christ dont schedule a procedure you can’t do then wait until the day before to tell me when it’s too late to reschedule it for the same day elsewhere.

Fucking hell am I heated.

2 Likes