Healthcare USA #1

Basically, using health insurance, patients pay 30% of the cost and the government foots the rest of the bill. So $60 was 30% of the total cost. You can do the math.

No need for a EOB as there’s only one option–fully comprehensive coverage. None of the exhausting choose your plan/deductible/premium yada dada. There are no deductibles.

And health insurance premiums are based on income level.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. $200 for all of that seems like a steal.

30% is a lot, but if everything is that inexpensive, then I guess it’s not so bad. If people with insurance had to pay 30% of the cost here, that would be, um…, problematic.

Medical costs are controlled in Japan and are far cheaper for (at least most) procedures compared to the U.S. They are also uniform across the board, so you would pay the same amount for a given procedure no matter where you went to receive care.

And further, the costs are known, so unlike in the U.S., you can ask how much something will cost ahead of time and get a clear answer.

I literally just saw a video on a site that would list the range of prices of such things and I am totally blanking on it.

It was a take off on a similar information site. I think I need an MRI.

I don’t really get the fines. Are they supposed to be searching every employee’s bags?

Beginning in the second half of 2020 as hospitals and EDs in California and across the country were still grappling with uncertainty, fear, and overburdened staff during the pre-vaccine days of the COVID pandemic, Anthem began to deny payment to many small emergency physician groups in the state for care they provided to patients with some of the highest acuity conditions, such as heart problems, severe kidney infection with sepsis, and seizures, among others. These denials occurred throughout the state at different hospitals staffed by different emergency physician groups, regardless of whether they were in- or out-of-network with the health insurer.

https://twitter.com/DGlaucomflecken/status/1603122806161813504

Zimmer tries to schedule an Echocardiogram: A Play in 3 Acts

Act 1: Call Central Scheduling, the order is either expired or not on file. They give me a fax number for the Cardiologist Office to send the order to.

Act 2: I call the Cardiologist Office, they say they will send the fax immediately and I should call Central Scheduling.

Act 3: After 15 minutes, Central Scheduling has not received a fax despite having FIVE fax numbers it could possibly be sent to. He offers to call the Cardiologist office himself. He says he will give me a call back with an update.

An hour later: I have not received a call back.

3 Likes

Teenager doesn’t know how to make the fax work.

faxes, really? I had to send one a few years ago to a bank that one of my old auto loans was through, couldn’t believe that.

It’s some HIPAA bullshit, I think?

1 Like

Yes, faxes are considered a more secure form of communication than internet based.

the medical industry is addicted to faxes because they qualify under HIPAA as an approved method for transmitting data (something like that)

it’s 2022 guys everyone has hipaa compliant methods of sending medical info nowadays.

no doubt but fax machines are still entrenched

Fax over a Xerox copy of your ass to the patient portal.

3 Likes

I actually think this is a bit overblown. In Canada fax machines are still ubiquitous in hospitals and it’s not HIPAA driven, obviously. I actually think it has more to do with boomer doctors being arrogant dickheads that don’t want to change.

The doctors absolutely do care. My wife is a physician with leadership responsibilities in a hospital and one the loudest constituencies to complain about anything are the doctors. You see, maybe you aren’t aware of this, but doctors are the smartest and most importantest people in the hospital if not the whole world. If you doubt me, just ask one.

And some, I assume, are good people.

2 Likes

In my experience the old doctors are kicking up a fuss at every stage of this administrative process, your mileage may vary obviously.

My wife worked at a software company that handled medical records, scheduling etc so I just assumed all that stuff could be done without faxes now, maybe not though.