HBO's THE UNDOING (no spoiler tags, read at your own risk)

This is a real problem because I don’t know any of the character’s names. I assume Jonathan is Hugh Grant? He did it, he’s going to take the stand, he’s going to blame his son, who we are going to think did it, he’s acquitted, and then in the last scene the show reveals that Hugh Grant actually did it to both Kidman and the audience. Kidman will be fooled up until then.

Added some help but it’s deleted the votes - please revote.

1 Like

That’s a C- denouement for me if it transpires - I’m expecting better from a script given such a starry cast and producer.

I don’t care about this show but who is this??

Matilda De Angelis

Thanks. I’m in love.

“By nature we are led to run away from grief and delusion,” De Angelis, a recipient of the European Film Award Shooting Star in 2018, remarks, “and we think that we must fully live every moment of joy and carefreeness. We think that we must love life and be afraid of death. We constantly think about the pursuit of happiness without wanting to deepen the knowledge of pain. The truth for me is that every feeling, whether positive or negative, should be lived fully, and everything we learn shapes our mind and our heart. Pain can be a weapon of knowledge for ourselves, and delusions can teach us to open our eyes to truly essential things, and to what we must accept about ourselves and others.”

https://flaunt.com/content/matilda-de-angelis

2 Likes

You should watch the first episode of the show than stop in that case.

1 Like

This must be the first David E. Kelly show you’ve seen

I confess I’d never heard of him. A brief look at his resume doesn’t encourage the hope that there are unexpected twists ahead.

Well there’s definitely going to be a HUGE TWIST upcoming. Maybe it will be something else, who knows.

Two episodes left so there must be more to it than a Jagged Edge style oh look he had the murder weapon all along.

One episode left

Ah shit. That bodes badly.

yea with one EP left I dont really have high hopes for a good ending but I’m still in for it

How do you know he’s a psychopath?

Right?

The main catalyst for the audience thinking he’s a psychopath is the revelation from his mom. But LOL at believing her version of events.

They made a great show of first evoking that doubt and then tempting the audience with a deceptively easy solution. She starts the phone call correcting Kidman’s grammar–which in itself shows how unthinkingly cruel Hugh’s mother is.

Imagine trying to express grief around her. She would describe Hugh as though he expressed nothing, even if in fact he gave every normal expression of grief a child in that position would have. Though with her as a mom, I would absolutely believe he eventually stopped showing any signs of grief. When your own mother exploits every expression of grief to prove you’re an emotionless psychopath, you too would decide it’s better not to show any emotion at all.

So I don’t believe Hugh’s mom. At least not unless the show goes that silly direction. Hugh’s character is an awful person but is the product of an abusive mother (and presumably an abusive father?). As was so clearly articulated in the Queen’s Gambit when Anya tells her deplorable father that her mother wasn’t pathetic. She was stuck, not broken.

At this point, I’d sooner believe the mother is the killer framing her son to teach him a lesson. That’s the true motivation of abusive parents like Hugh’s mother and Nicole Kidman’s father (in this show played by Donald Sutherland). The ends justifies the means, even when the ends itself is cruel and evil.

The Donald was meant to be the Donald Sutherland character loll.

1 Like

ROFL at The Donald suspect analysis

1 Like

Yea I just don’t think there’s any scenario where this comes out great really

I don’t think that kid is Hugh Grant’s son. Just the baby.