Happiest Season

It’s also a film deeply rooted in romantic comedy troupes so the ending is always predetermined.

1 Like

Was gonna watch this today. Saw its pg13, cool for a 12 year old boy?

1 Like

Imo yes. Depending on his knowledge of LGBTQ+ issues it could also be a good jumping off point to discuss a few of the challenges they face. There’s definitely nothing gratuitous about the movie on any level.

2 Likes

I didn’t even think about that. True, the movie is a great jumping off point for a lot of conversations about LGBTQ+ issues. Also all sorts of relationship issues between family, romantic partners, FORMER romantic partners, your friends, your stupid parents. It’s a movie you can easily discuss between a parent and their 12-year-old and not worry about accidentally getting into some deeply uncomfortable topic for both sides LOL.

I mean just asking someone, “You ever kept something a secret because you worried how people would react?”

Or the other side, “You ever wanted to talk about something and the other person just wasn’t ready?”

Who hasn’t been through some version of that? And here the movie gives us an easy relationship to discuss the topic if we’re not ready to see how that applies to our own experiences.

Matt, if y’all end up watching it, please let us know how it goes :popcorn:

1 Like

lol pg13. a swear maybe?

The Ted Lasso of Rom-Coms
Cute, if formulaic.
Easy watch, goes down smooth

1 Like

There is a scene that references two people sneaking into each other’s rooms, but they’ll be just as confused as I was when Vicky Vale screamed, “I can’t believe I slept with you!”

I was like that’s true, sleepovers are a big deal. So clueless lol.

I haven’t had coffee yet so enjoyed the briefest moment in the Industry HBO thread where I forgot where I was and thought @mosdef was making an elite metaphor about Happiest Season

2 Likes

I kind of smh when Ana Gasteyer’s consultant character refuses to run Victor Garber’s mayoral campaign upon hearing he has a lesbian daughter and that his other daughter’s biracial grandchildren will now have two homes.

I guess the salt of the earth community would have been AOK with his having a black SIL and brown grandkids.

1 Like

That’s a good point. To me, it really speaks more to how much growth Ted needs to go through if these are the kind of donors he has tended to attract/select.

Finally got around to watching this and I am so glad that I did. Never would have without this thread so thanks for the heads up. I loved it. Very funny, well written, well acted. It weaves together humor and the serious subjects so wonderfully. First movie in a long time that made me laugh out loud several times and get teary several times.

“Yea of course I had a boyfriend. I had many. Well an appropriate amount. The last one, he was a…milk…man.”

That awkwardness just works so well.

1 Like