Greatest names ever: given, middle, surname, nick, combos thereof, whatever. Go!

Ndabaningi Sithole

I went from reading this thread to opening an article about Facebook:

On July 1, Max Wang , a Boston-based software engineer who was leaving Facebook after more than seven years, shared a video on the company’s internal discussion board that was meant to serve as a warning.

I like the name Zinedine Zidane. Top name.

I dislike the name Iona Ramsbottom, with whom I walked to school.

Edit: I think there was a TV reporter in the UK called Nina Nana, who was presumably named after an ambulance.

2 Likes

Met a Mongolian chap named Chinbat Molotov once. Nicest guy ever, which is kind of a waste, you expect a badass really.

51+awtng5OL.AC_SY355
molotov_cocktail

Reality Winner

2 Likes

Germany’s disgraced former secretary of defense has an impressive line-up of given names:

Karl-Theodor Maria Nikolaus Johann Jacob Philipp Franz Joseph Sylvester Buhl-Freiherr von und zu Guttenberg

His friends call him KTMNJJPFJSBFVG.

It just rolls off the tongue like ARod.

His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular

When I was preteen (~45yrs ago) and the Guiness Book of Records was in my orbit I memorised the (then) longest name in the world.

Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff Sr. - Wikipedia.

The wiki shows a full version of his surname but I learnt the shorter version as that was what the book had. (Maybe I should try and do the long one)

I still remember it to this day - can’t imagine the number of times I’ve recited it.

Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff Sr

Just remembered this one. There’s an ex Sri Lankan fast bowler who was the subject of this nice anecdote from ex England cricket coach David Lloyd:

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

4 Likes

So my last name is Ade (pronounced aid, it’s surprising how many people pronounce it addy). While having a homonym with a pandemic disease was plenty of fodder for asshole kids growing up, it did lead to one decent nickname. Playing high school baseball I was known to swing out of my shoes. While I unfortunately lead the team in strikeouts, I also hit some decent bombs, and earned the name Powerade.

God Shammgod is definitely elite, especially since he has one of the coolest looking moves named after him.

1 Like

If you dont name your first born Gator, I will find you. And I will kill you.

2 Likes

Iron Mike Tyson

Lando Calrissian.

1 Like

Frank Zappa’s kids in order of birth:

Diva (f) - uh, ok
Ahmet (m) - ok
Dweezil (m) - wtf?
Moon Unit (f) - hahahahaha

1 Like

lol at Dweezil. Accurate rankings!

1 Like

Moon Zappa!

That is goat

Had a statistics teacher named Katya Fuchs (pronounced ‘fooks’ ) . Must have had a rough childhood with that last name.

1 Like

Teen Kasia