Golf: No Bones, just Bonesaws

Yea my only knowledge of the course really comes from it being my favorite course in WGT golf and I’ve probably played it 100 times or more. But yea the greens seem very flat. But anyway, if I shot 100ish on that course I’d be ecstatic, you’re probably way better than me though. Uphill approaches are my arch nemesis…

I shot my best round ever today at the beginner 59 course. Lol, playing harder courses really has opened my eyes to how easy this course plays. There are basically no hazards - so I could just fire in the general-ish direction of the green where a miss left me a chip with the whole green, at the other courses I play you’re not able to do that because of all the bunkers and water.

I hit the ball like total ass and shot a 73, +14. I only hit one green (all 5 fairways though and I honestly dont even understand how this streak is happening). My putting was absurd. These greens are really flat and everything inside 10 feet just felt like a gimme. Had to make several 10+ foot bogey saves and one really long par save. Absolutely crushed a drive almost to the green on a 250 yard par 4 at the end which pumped me up because I knew if I par’d out that hole I was gonna beat my best score by several strokes.That was the only green I hit.

It’s nice playing at like 630 am, I could really take my time or go as fast/slow as I want. I’m glad my putter is working as well as it is this week, something just clicked in my head about it and the cup feels bigger. Even my misses were lip outs or just barely short. unfortunately my irons were crap, as they have been for several rounds now.

A for instance - 170 yard par 3. Just a straight shot and OB left which is basically not in play for me. I take a 5 iron and whiff it about 40 yards. Take out my 7 iron, get to like 15 feet, par’d out. Like that’s basically a birdie out of the rough. But off the tee I just can’t.

Game is in complete shambles, walked off after 6 here. Lost like 10 balls, lol. Think I’m gonna stop keeping score.

1 Like

Do you get angry on the course?

When I play solo, yes. With family and friends, can keep it in check. With strangers, I behave. :)

I’m trying to learn to let it go but I’m not hardwired that way. I’m jealous of people that totally suck, have no desire to improve but seem to have fun out there.

2 Likes

Growing up I was such a ball of fire (loud cussing, club slamming in the 80s) that I sometimes had a hard time getting some friends to play with me when I was at my most hypercompetitive. At some point I just completely lost that anger, and never was as good. People sure loved playing with me when I never got angry anymore.

Look at it like this. Sam Jackson when he was starting out said he would get angry when he’d screw up a shot. The guy who taught him stopped him and said, ‘you’re not good enough to get angry’. He said it helped him put his anger in perspective and push it back. I think just about everyone who plays outside the pro level isn’t really good enough to get angry. Disappointed, sure, but there are very little stakes for any of us playing enough to get mad. You don’t want to end up like the Priest from Caddyshack.

Any time you’re feeling bad about a round, stop keeping score, and just put the ball in the fairway if you’re struggling. The point is to regain confidence, and you won’t ever get that from hitting out of trouble all day if you can’t salvage a round. I think the only time I ever walked off a course was due to heat exhaustion. Unless you ran out of balls, I wouldn’t recommend that.

dreamcrusher is funny <3

wish we could all get out and play together.

My fairway streak continues today all 5 fairways hit at the short course

Shot another sub bogey round so im feeling pretty good with my short game. Only one GIR again so it’s clearly just me averaging something like 28 putts a round lately, lol

1 Like

Started off rough on the front and back but pulled it together for the most part, think I figured out a couple things toward the end. Played with an 88yr old named Tom for the last few holes. He hit D, 3w, 3w, wedge on most holes but kept in play, had a pretty nice swing for an old dog. Said he used to caddy at Bethpage. Real nice guy, and boy did he HATE fascism, was very worried about the direction the country was headed. Was refreshing to talk to an old who wasn’t panic stricken about immigrants and muslims. Hope to see him again out there.

2 Likes

Tom Goat

Played a short par 72 today at dawn before work. Holy christ its like 80% humidity and the air felt HEAVY. I was hitting 5 iron into 145 yards and it barely got there even when I pured it.

Made 8 pars, 2 birds. Ask me how I still shot a 90 LOL. Fucking disappointing dude.

2 Likes

that’s our situation… u can card a par or better on a preponderance of the holes, and still shoot a bogey round. been there dozens of times

8 pars and 2 birdies is a sick ass round. Congrats. I think I only birdied twice in a round this summer twice (out of like 30 rounds or so). No eagles yet this year.

And humid air, assuming it’s not actually raining, is actually lighter than dry air so the ball should fly farther.

I dont know then. Honestly I know i wasnt hitting it shitty on the ones i pured - ball was not carrying at all.

Yea the 2 birdies were gross. I made a 20 footer on one and then a chip in. I only hit 3 greens all day and one was a bogey so I guess that’s like what, 8 scrambles? My putting has been gross lately. If not for the bad holes and some 4 putts i would have had like a <25 putt round. Everything fell in.

My bad holes were total meltdown combos of mishitting like 3 shots in a row, whiffing chips, and 3-4 putting. Just classic meltdowns. But on the not disaster holes i definitely had a ton of bogey and double bogey saves that couldve turned out waaaay worse.

Still probably the best round of my life. Which is so weird because i hit the ball like ass, just managed to not put myself in too horrible of spots and made putts. I have been practicing putting most of my practice time lately and its paying off i think.

l

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

My golf mentor noticed that I have a really bad balance problem the last several rounds and thinks that’s why my shots are all getting pushed out or chunked. I looked at a video and he’s right, I’m kind of falling backwards out of the swing every time.

So I finally got some plastic spike shoes, new balance, spent a little on them. Wow what a fucking difference I could tell immediately. Before I was using athletic shoes with soft rubber spikes and i’d slide around. I felt like a tree trunk that my body and the club was rotating around, way different than before.

My driver got like 20+ yards easily, I was hitting everything straight and great today on this challenging shorter par 71 course. Every green was that “shell” design so it was pretty challenging hitting greens, which I never do anyway, so it kind of favored me. I was puring all my long clubs but I couldnt hit 8,9, or W to save my life so I need to practice those tomorrow. I feel like a lot of things are starting to come together at once. Historically I struggled with putting and off the tee, and those are both feeling really nice. I just need more yardage - even my good drives are only like 240-250. But at least I feel like the banana slice is gone, it’s more of a gentle 10 yard fade now. I totally can slice on command though, I know what it feels like now, so that was a big breakthrough as well.

Shot a 94 and I’m pretty damn happy with it. No bad blowup/meltdowns today. It’s been almost officially a year since I picked up a club for the first time and I’ve had several sub 100 scores. I only just started playing regulation courses so I am pretty stoked at my progress even though I still have a ways to go.

1 Like

Round from yesterday, course is on the water and it was windy. Started off with a lotta bogeys but I knew that couldn’t last, haha. Fell apart on the back 9 with lots of penalties, mostly off the tee. Took a couple of tiny chunks out of the bottom of 6i when I hit a big rock that was mostly buried, lucky I didn’t break my wrists. Rock broke into 3 pieces. I’ll buff the club up at work on a stone wheel, should be fine. About the only thing I did well was putt, hit 3 20-25fters and lagged well, too. Feel really lost out there overall, it’s getting depressing.

2 Likes

Goat lol

If I did that to my 5 iron I’d have a mini heart attack, it’s my favorite club.

I played my best 9 this morning, shot a 38 on a par 34. I was putting like a monster. Everything two putted was an inch or less second putt and I sunk a 20 footer for a pretty gnarly ~60 yard scramble on the second to last hole. Inside 10 feet felt like a gimme today. It is the best feeling.

I knew once I got the feel of this putter it’d work out great for me. I absolutely am in love with it.

2 Likes