GOAT TV Theme Songs: Bracket Set (Post 1228), Finals: Jeffersons vs. Mssion: Impossible

Nah, it’s original to TNG. Original series had a very different theme.

1 Like

For easy comparison

A lot of turds in this last round for me. The MacGyver song is bad, but Quantum Leap is worse. I have no love for Reading Rainbow song, but I could not vote for the Friends song. The Beverly Hills 90210 and Baywatch songs are just terrible.

I dutifully voted in all of them, even when the choice was a shit sandwich or a rotten Spam sandwich

3 Likes

There’s fighting words. The opening guitar riff to 90210 is great. I think the Baywatch theme has some record or something as the most played TV theme of all time. It’s a banger.

1 Like

Several at neck and neck, but this one is closest with 48-52. We have a heat!

Finally getting around to actually listening to these

• Either of the Attack on Titan themes strike me as being too busy and thrashy, and not nearly enough ear-wormy. I can’t really envision myself humming them. Dragnet is making a big statement here. I’m glad I got it saved.
  • Was Heidi a troll nominee that didn’t get weeded out or something? Straight trash. I’m not sure Golden Girls is quite good enough to beat Dragnet, but it’s way over-qualified to beat something that doesn’t belong here.
  • Battle of the elevator music. I don’t think it would be too hard to find something that didn’t even qualify that’s better than either of these. McGyver, I guess.
  • The Munsters was pretty fun, and Laverne and Shirley didn’t do anything for me.
  • I enjoy Reading Rainbow, and I’m inclined to hate on the Friends theme, but man, Friends is really strong. I wouldn’t be surprised by a deep run at all.
  • lol 90210. That was everything that I thought Friends would sound like to me: a glaring cliche of a particular time.
  • As of right now, I’ve put Bebop into a tie. Animaniacs does what it sets out to do, but Bebop is just too good.
  • lol Baywatch. I like Fox over MNF, but it seems likely both will be eliminated before they might face each other.
2 Likes

I feel like the Baywatch video coasts on the visuals, not the theme: sparkling water, slow-mo bouncing boobs, etc.

I thought the singer was Richard Marx or something so I consulted the Wiki article. Turns out the writer meant the song as a christian song. I knew there was a reason I didn’t like the lyrics

Edit. Apparently I was reply 666 in the thread?

1 Like

I could listen to the Baywatch theme on repeat. I’m shocked to hear that it isn’t an obvious winner.

“I’ll be ready” takes on new meaning if it was meant to be a Christian song.

I’ve probably watched a few episodes of Laverne and Shirley, but I definitely don’t remember them. Is there any explanation as to why Laverne has a big L on apparently every top that she owns. Does she ever wear anything without an L? I’m sure I could look this up, but I’m lazy.

1 Like

Everything Laverne owns has an L. It’s her thing. She also drinks Pepsi and Milk together. Shirley is kind of neurotic, and I think the neat freak to Laverne’s slob. Don’t remember anything else about her.

Laverne and Shirley are part of the Happy Days universe, along with Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi, and sort of Love American Style, where Happy Days originated as a sketch. Possibly some other spinoff shows I’m forgetting.

These guys, Lenny and Squiggy, barged into the girls’ apartment once or twice a show with their signature “Hello” said in funny accents, and are the horniest mfers of all time:

You may recognize Michael McKean from This is Spinal Tap and a ton of other stuff.

Even back then, the theme song and intro was the best part of the show.

1 Like

Does she sew it on herself? Does she have someone do it for her?

1 Like

Unclear. Possibly her mom sews it on for her.

1 Like

Is her mom a character on the show?

Actually, I guess it was her stepmom: Betty Garrett - Wikipedia

Laverne’s mom died. Shirley’s mom appeared on the show.

Oh yeah, and Laverne is Penny Marshall, who went on to direct Big, A League of Their Own and a bunch of other movies.

Cindy Williams, who played Shirley, auditioned for the role of Princess Leia.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Co-signed.

1 Like

I’ll cut it to ~48 hrs, but we get a fair number of extra votes outside if the first 24, so I’d be reluctant to go below 48.

Underdogs go 5-3 in block 3, including what would be a 32 seed that had to win a play-in game just to make the tourney upsetting a 1 seed, were this a 4-region bracket akin to March Madness, and Cowboy Bebop just barely held off a scrappy Animaniacs as well. No song is safe, apparently.

Block 4 incoming.

3 Likes

48 hours I think is the sweet spot. 72 maybe during the weekend

1 Like

Round 1, Block 4:

#5 The A-Team

VS.

#124 Dallas

#5 The A-Team vs. #124 Dallas
  • #5 The A-Team
  • #124 Dallas
0 voters