GOAT TV Theme Songs: Bracket Set (Post 1228), Finals: Jeffersons vs. Mssion: Impossible

I think the OG Reading Rainbow theme is better, but you don’t have to take my word for it. I guess the other one is in the tournament because it has more views.

2 Likes

how is this one such a close race?

As far as I could tell, they’re both elevator music. I just had to shrug and pick one that I liked nominally more. Probably our weakest matchup so far.

Yeah but for me its also: I would always recognize the Macgyver one.

I’m astonished MacGyver and Quantum Leap themes are getting shit on right now. Love em both

MNF does nothing to me. Maybe because I never watched it but listening to it seems whatever to me. I am probably biased to most of the stuff I actually watched in the past.

I think Perfect Strangers was forgotten about so posting for due recognition

3 Likes

My wife started singing along when I played this

1 Like

The Attack on Titan theme that should have been used:

I don’t even think the Golden Girls theme is very good, and it’s still atrocious that it’s only winning 22-1 instead of 23-0.

Some tough ones this round. Listened to MacGyver and was like “that’s terrible, Quantum Leap wins by default” but then I listened to Quantum Leap and stood corrected. We consider all the exposition to be part of the opening theme right? Jesus Christ that was bad.

Similarly, assumed that Laverne and Shirley could not be beat by The Munsters - I actually think I voted for it immediately. But then I listened to The Munsters and it could not be denied so I changed my vote.

Am I wrong that Star Trek: TNG is just a newer version of an old theme? If I’m wrong I’ll change my vote, but if I’m correct I’m sticking with 90210.

Surprised that Animaniacs is getting challenged, it’s really really good.

Same. Animaniacs getting bounced in round one would be rough.

1 Like

Same. I didn’t vote in that one.

1 Like

Yah, this one is way better, the one in the comp. sucks unfortunately.

I’ve watched the whole series twice and read a lot about the show online and would say there’s no clear consensus between them and it’d prob be split evenly which would be ranked higher. Opening 1 is good, but prob my #3. My top would actually be My War, which is so elite once you’re used to it (at first it’s jarring), but all the openings are elite.

In any case, either opening was bound to get crushed in this competition as 90% of posters have 0 attachment to the show the way they do the 80s and 90s themes.

When I recommended AoT and Little Einsteins, we didn’t know this would eventually turn into a bracket. I was going for songs that were different from the normal stuff being recommend and more obscure to the average UP poster.

He also plays Jud Crandall, the “Sometimes, dead is better” guy from Pet Sematary

2 Likes

Oh fuck, really?

I know the majoriry of this group dislike the super poppy late 80s themes, but this is one of the best

1 Like

If people want to vote based on this, that’s fine with me, and someone can update the spreadsheet, too. I have never watched the show, so I was just going on whatever people entered.

It’s basically the same melody, but it’s updated instrumentation that just sounds better than TOS, imo.

Currently trying to imagine a world where 90210 didn’t get a single vote.

Here are my justifications for Round 1 Block 3:

• I don’t know anything about Attack on Titan and eyebooger posted a different theme, but there’s no chance it unseats the iconic Dragnet theme for me. My mom hated that show and would cringe every time the theme would come on. I thought the show was the most hilariously campy garbage it could be and is why I loved it. When a theme can evoke a reaction like Dragnet’s did, it’s hard to beat this early. Jack Webb, the reactionary psycho, really liked to go hard in the paint on main title music. Nothing stands out to me about the other theme.

• I’m not a fan of The Golden Girls theme, even though it’s good at telling the theme of the show. The sitcom is one of the best of all time, so it was always looking past that theme. But Heidi? Nah. This is an easy pick for The Golden Girls.

• Here’s the first tough decision of the round. To me, neither of these themes are any good. I didn’t watch Quantum Leap but did watch MacGyver growing up before Monday Night Foottball. The MacGyver theme is cheesy (hello, it’s ABC). The Quantum Leap theme is…uh…I don’t know what it is. It’s just there and does nothing to drive the show. But, it sounds better and less cheesy, so it barely got my vote.

• I know both the Laverne & Shirley theme and The Munsters theme inside out and did not even need to listen to either to know I was picking The Munsters. The show was done in 1965 and there was no cooler theme song than that one that I can remember. This was the original opening.

They also updated the theme when they changed characters, so it grew with the times. It’s also a funny opening to the show and always worth watching. L&S wins against many others but not a chance against The Munsters for me.

• Reading Rainbow wins by default for me, as I can’t stand the Friends theme…lol

• Star Trek: The Next Generation wins by default for me, as I can’t stand the Beverly Hills 90210 theme…lol

• With the hardest pick in the matchups for me was Cowboy Bebop vs. Animaniacs. Cowboy Bebop’s song is cool and I love it and it would win musically for me, but the lyrics of Animaniacs are just too good for me to give it to Cowboy Bebop. This was very very close for me but I had to go with Animaniacs due to the spirit of the competition. It does its job as a theme song exceptionally well.

• Baywatch vs. Monday Night Football just isn’t fair, but Baywatch would lose against almost anyone but Beverly Hills 90210 to me. I’m far more partial to the original Heavy Action theme for Monday Night Football but this updated one is still good and its competition is…Baywatch.