GOAT TV Theme Songs: Bracket Set (Post 1228), Finals: Jeffersons vs. Mssion: Impossible

The view count is the same on the og version, so it almost certainly would not have made a difference but I still wanted to share it since it’s such a nice piece of 70’s art.

In addition to being an all time deep cut/hip hop break, the tv intro just smashes the vibe. Intrigue distilled.

1 Like

If the view count is the same, you can also update the spreadsheet to use this version.

2 Likes

Updated. Thanks for the help.

I really didn’t want to ask you to do any more work so coo beeans.

2 Likes
4 Likes

til there is a kid’s show called “Hey Dude”

2 Likes

I still have “Drive” as the main catalyst for the resurgence, old and new. Lots of idm groups on the run up, specifically Boards of Canada, who could have been soundtrack legends if they wanted to.

1 Like

Another reason why this loses to me is because this is particularly bad sound quality of various instruments that sound too synthesized. If this song was done with a real orchestra it would be much better and that takes away a lot of points for me.

Late 90s Fox Sports Net everywhere themes for various sports were elite and probably done by the same guy with this same non-orchestra flair but tighter. This is the weakest but ends up being the most long standing of them all, in my opinion.

I have old NFL on CBS, ABC Monday Night Football and ABC Wide World of Sports all ahead of the NFL on Fox theme.

1 Like

One of my best friends was the music editor on the show and worked with them closely because they did everything without automation and couldn’t get stuff they’d done back the second time (season 1 was apparently a nightmare trying to get approvals done because the synthesizers wouldn’t sound the same in various versions re-programmed leading to a lot of issues and problems).

That show turned him from a guitar rock based band person into a synthesizer person. He has numerous analog synths now (even though the guy who took over ASIA told me Arturia software does everything everything synth ever did completely automatable and tech problem free), and has never gone back to rock music since working on it. Can’t get him to go back, can’t get him to use Arturia.

Same

It’s not the same.

That band was the kings of synths, so I’m gonna lean on what they were trying to accomplish at the time vs. what people who are way younger and didn’t use those synths think they want them to sound like because of what they heard. These people were at the forefront of tech work in that era and they wanted it to sound like Arturia does not what people were nostalgic for. They just couldn’t capture it then and they probably would have written 100s more songs at their peaks if they had something like Arturia.

SEC on CBS is the GOAT.

We could probably get to 64 songs for a sports theme song bracket after this one. There are some pretty iconic wrestling themes to flesh out the field.

Masters and Olympics are also elite.

1 Like

Just realizing Gilligan’s Island theme is a sea shanty. How 2020!

3 Likes

Beverly Hillbillies pretty good. Unlike a lot of theme songs with lyrics that explain the show, this one doesn’t have too many verses, and the lyrics are actually clever. After the lyrics, it goes straight into a bluegrass jam.

3 Likes

One we forgot to nominate. Wouldn’t have made it into the bracket anyway

Stranger Things intro is really well suited to the show and crazy good. NFL on Fox is bottom tier as sports ones go.

I feel like my opinions on themes are counter to the group in general. The Wire not making it in was sad too. Oh well.

• Like the Stranger Things theme even though I’ve never seen the show. Gotta give this one to the NFL on Fox theme though.
  • Never heard of The Persuaders. Wasn’t a fan of the theme. Wasn’t really a fan of WKRP’s either, but it’s better than this.
  • Brutal draw for Batman, which I liked a lot. X-Files easily though.
  • Tough to resist the nostalgia vote for Family Matters, but Gilligan is a better theme.
  • Boondocks is fine, but it ain’t no Adam West Batman.
  • TPIR easily for me. Surprised that the voting is this close.
  • Hey Dude is a niche thing that you wouldn’t appreciate if you didn’t watch it during the 90s. I did, and even I still can’t bring myself to vote against L&O here.
  • I had forgotten how annoying the Beverly Hillbillies theme was. Never seen Succession, but it gets my vote.

TPIR fits the show well and does its job, but I would be quickly driven to madness if I had to listen to that on a loop for any length of time. I don’t see it as a particularly strong entry to this bracket.

I really like the Stranger Things music, but NFL on Fox is just too iconic imo.

I was prepared to like The Persuaders more than WKRP, but I didn’t.

I was also prepared to ditch Gilligan and the Beverly Hillbillies because I am not a fan of songs that tell the story of the show or introduce characters, but the competition in both cases was too weak to unseat them (although I do think Succession is nice).