GOAT Movie Themes - Last Block of Round 2 posted

3 Likes

In terms of actually capturing the films message and tone this is the greatest movie theme of all time.

3 Likes

I can handle the bracket making and filling using the same website as last time, but I’m going to decline making all the polls and moving things along. That’s a ton of work that I don’t really want to repeat.

I also will host the crowd-sourced seeding sheet:

Pretty sure it’s public for editing despite what the link preview says.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I appreciate your time. We’ll figure out the voting polls.

May I also ask for your input on whether to include original songs and musicals? There was some discussion whether original songs count, as well as how it can be difficult to determine the actual theme from a musical.

2 Likes

My two cents:

Leave musicals out of it. Can do a bracket with them later.

Otherwise you’d have to institute a 1 song per movie limit or be at risk of having 8 songs from Chicago in there.

2 Likes

It has now!

1 Like

I feel like there’s a difference between e.g. The Imperial March, which I think should be in, and a musical number featured in the middle of a movie, which I think are too numerous to include. Perhaps to qualify for as a theme, a song needs to be used either in the opening or closing credits, or more than once during a movie? I think that let’s in My Heart Will Go On, which is definitely a theme, but not, say Under the Sea or Mr. Cellophane, which really aren’t.

I think that does let in All That Jazz and Circle of Life, both of which deserve consideration.

1 Like

Makes sense. Thanks.

I mean, I’m hardly speaking from a position of authority. People are free to chime in with their own takes if they want to refine or improve upon that metric, or if they want more songs to be eligible/ineligible.

1 Like

I don’t mind videos of symphonies playing the elite instrumental themes in concert being posted, because those are usually pretty awesome and well worth watching/listening…but if view count is going to determine seeding again, it doesn’t feel like those should count toward that.

I know that in looking for videos, I passed those over for that reason, and if I’m remembering right they tended to achieve higher view counts.

2 Likes

I’d vote to leave them out.

I don’t have an exact definition of what should be in, but something like people understand what you mean when you say “The [insert movie here] song/theme”. I don’t think that’s true at all for Chicago or The Lion King. Though I would say it is true for that Moulin Rouge song that Risky posted earlier.

That would leave out The Imperial March, but I think you can make an exception by considering it the Darth Vader theme. I’m not sure if there are any other character specific ones like that. There surely can’t be many.

1 Like
1 Like

Also, are people seeing the titles on this YouTube links?

Or are you seeing this for a lot of them (until you click the play icon):

2 Likes

Was Lady Marmalade even in that movie?

1 Like

About 50/50 here. Some show up, some don’t until you hit play.

1 Like

Nobody has posted the video of it, but I think Gangsta’s Paradise is another one indelibly attached to a movie that, to my very faded recollection of that 30-year-old movie, wasn’t actually in the movie. Definitely doesn’t feel like there’s any shortage of popular songs that happened to be tied in on a soundtrack without really resembling a movie theme, yet probably exist in the consciousness of people as that movie’s song.

Obviously this is all quite a bit messier than judging what constitutes a TV theme song.

1 Like

Yeah that’s happening on more than half of them for me.

1 Like

Do they need to be compositions originally made for the movie? If not, this definitely should be in.

1 Like

I probably could have bothered to take two seconds to research this first. In my defense, I did say “very faded recollection.”

1 Like