GOAT Movie Themes - First Block of Round 3 Posted

I remember Across 110 St thanks to the intro for Jackie Brown.

And people are voting for ragtime!

I took a class on ragtime in college. It was well known at WashU to be the easiest elective available. Downside: you had to listen to a lot of ragtime.

1 Like

Hey as long as my vote keeps it above 50%

I like ragtime but yeah lol

I don’t think Man of Steel has any chance of winning, but I want to cast a net for any potential votes or changed votes it might get by showing the score in action. This trailer had me convinced I was going to see the best Superman movie ever made. I still watch it whenever I want to feel inspired.

Round 1, Block 7 Justifications

• Gladiator vs. Ten Et Tiwa-Hmm, this was tougher than I expected. I feel like there was some other great Gladiator song that’s not this one that was used in trailers after it came out. This sounds pretty generic and anachronistic for me, something I don’t usually like in historical epics. The Ten Et Tiwa song works, but it’s not doing quite enough to not get devoured in this matchup for me.

• Man of Steel vs. Batman-Batman wins and Danny grins. No thanks to a Hans Zimmer Superman Begins theme. This is not a good effort from him, in my opinion. By contrast, the Batman theme was a great effort by Danny Elfman.

• Requiem for a Dream vs. Us-I guess I’ll pick Requiem since I did work for the movie. Neither of these themes do much for me.

• Across 110th Street vs. The Sting-Across 110th Street is a song that tells a story and isn’t that what this competition is all about? I love the movie, The Sting, but Scott Joplin’s song is not going to beat out Bobby Womack’s song for a movie I’ve never heard of that looks kind of interesting based on its wikipedia page.

• Skyfall vs. Gone with the Wind-I’ve already stated my affinity for Adele’s Skyfall, which is possibly my favorite James Bond theme song, along with Skyfall being one of, if not my favorite scores in the franchise. I liked this song well enough to remaster it and put it in the thread earlier. My remaster is really good and probably none of you listened to it. Thanks. Here it is below again in shameless self-promotion, because why not? If you like the song, I don’t think you’ll regret listening to my version. You’ve heard Tara’s Theme 10 million and one times even if you haven’t seen the movie. And it doesn’t make me want to see the movie. I will give a shout out to Val Lewton who had the idea to have a long tracking shot of Atlanta in the movie that would basically show the destruction of the entire city. He and Selznick were rumbling and he never thought such a scripted shot would be approved. It was and it’s in the movie. Good job with the passive-aggressiveness, Val Lewton, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Adele this time around.

• Killers of the Flower Moon vs. Legends of the Fall-My understanding is the Killers of the Flower Moon song was not in the movie, so it’s immediately disqualified. It’s an interesting song, though. Even though Legends of the Fall wins by default here, it’s still a fine effort by Horner and probably would have won for me anyway.

• Star Wars vs. Akira-Sorry Akira.

• E.T. vs. The Social Network-Ah the favorite of Steven Spielberg tribute end montages everywhere has arrived in the form of E.T. You just know you’re about to get Elliott on that bike when the music comes up and you are never disappointed. I think The Social Network and Trent Reznor scores are overrated, but I’m sure I’m in the minority. This was still an easy choice for me to go with E.T., one of the iconic scores of John Williams in a career of many many many iconic scores (Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favorites of his).

1 Like

I mean it’s pretty good, if it had gotten a softer matchup I might have voted for it.

1 Like

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 57

#6 Danger Zone (Top Gun)

VS.

#123 Cave of Mind (Howl’s Moving Castle)

#6 Danger Zone (Top Gun) vs. #123 Cave of Mind (Howl’s Moving Castle)
  • #6 Danger Zone (Top Gun).

• #123 Cave of Mind (Howl’s Moving Castle)

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 58

#59 Dances with Wolves

VS.

#70 Flash Gordon

#59 Dances with Wolves vs. #70 Flash Gordon
  • #59 Dances with Wolves.

• #70 Flash Gordon

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 59

#27 A Fistful of Dollars

VS.

#102 Last Known Address/Dernier Domicile Connu

#27 A Fistful of Dollars vs. #102 Last Known Address/Dernier Domicile Connu
  • #27 A Fistful of Dollars.

• #102 Last Known Address/Dernier Domicile Connu

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 60

#38 Harry Potter

VS.

#91 Call Me (American Gigolo)

#38 Harry Potter vs. #91 Call Me (American Gigolo)
  • #38 Harry Potter.

• #91 Call Me (American Gigolo)

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 61

#11 Hymn to the Sea (Titanic)

VS.

#118 Candyman

#11 Hymn to the Sea (Titanic) vs. #118 Candyman
  • #11 Hymn to the Sea (Titanic).

• #118 Candyman

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 62

#54 One Last Kiss (Evangelion 3.0)

VS.

#75 Paris Texas

#54 One Last Kiss (Evangelion 3.0) vs. #75 Paris Texas
  • #54 One Last Kiss (Evangelion 3.0)

• #75 Paris Texas

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 63

#22 The Neverending Story

VS.

#107 Black Swan

#22 The Neverending Story vs. #107 Black Swan
  • #22 The Neverending Story.

• #107 Black Swan

0 voters

Round 1, Block 8, Matchup 64

#43 Schindler’s List

VS.

#86 Psycho theme

#43 Schindler’s List vs. #86 Psycho theme
  • #43 Schindler’s List.

• #86 Psycho theme

0 voters

And that’s the last block of the first round!

2 Likes

Ty for posting the votes

2 Likes

Oh real cute, everyone. The fuck is this start.

4 Likes

We are voting for a work of art

I’d like to be a professional whistler, but it must be tough to get gigs

1 Like

I would consider Howl’s Moving Castle more closely if it didn’t have one of those live-symphony cheat videos.

Dances With Wolves theme is a banger. What a mismatch. What a shameful bit of early voting.

Oh dammit, A Fistful of Dollars has a cheat video too, but the theme is legitimately excellent. Uggghhh. I guess I’ll vote for it even though it’s juicing, but I feel bad about it.

In case it needs repeating: yes, American Gigolo is 100% the origin point of “Call Me.” There’s instrumental “Call Me” used in several scenes as well. Having first watched this movie within the past year, I was really impressed with the way it wove itself through the story and fit the movie perfectly. I won’t object too hard to Harry Potter voters and I expect they’ll prevail, but the theme work on American Gigolo is legitimately pretty top-notch.

The Candyman theme is kind of interesting, but Horner just killed it too hard on the Titanic score to be a one-and-done.

Paris, Texas didn’t land super well for me when I tried it, though I intend to try again. I will say that the visuals were undeniably elite, and I was kind of expecting to find that I thought the theme to be too, but…I don’t know, this didn’t do a lot for me. I’m voting for it anyway because the Evangelion theme didn’t work for me at all.

Darren Aronofsky’s movies can be hit-or-miss. He always wrangles a strong score though. Black Swan (which is definitely also a movie that hits rather than misses) is no exception.

Tough beat for the Psycho theme, but very few movies are getting my vote against Schindler’s List.

1 Like