GOAT Movie Themes - First Block of Round 3 Posted

Tobey ruins all movies that he’s in.

This is a pretty spirited defense against a post I led with “I can’t fault the Chariots of Fire voters.”

Tobey Maguire brings out the sassy in me

Counterpoint - Michael Caine makes every movie he’s in great, and Cider House is one of his best performances.

Good night, you princes of Maine, you kings of New England.

I’ve been voting based on iconic-ness, usually. This round was one of the first with a matchup in which I hadn’t even heard of either of the movies, but I guess I need to go watch The Fountain now.

Also, Miley Cyrus did a great live cover of Man of Constant Sorrow. I’m not sure there’s anything she can’t sing. Maybe opera?

1 Like

this, and I’m not sure if it would have made it to the bracket, but “Assault on precinct 13” should have been nominated, it’s his best score imo (although “Halloween” is more iconic due to the perfection of the movie)

5 Likes

Also FYI, I’m reevaluating my friendship with some of you after the outpouring of love for the Bryan Adams song that’s so bad I won’t speak it’s name.

1 Like

I’m torn about voting against 1492 because of synth music for sailing ships but voting for Chariots of Fire which is synth music for olde tyme running, then remembered I was voting for Herby and it all made sense.

That Herbie theme is as annoying as so many people claimed the Gremlins one was in the last block.

1 Like

It perfectly embodies the ideas of a magic, sassy, flying, affordable compact car from the minds that brought you WWII. It does a much better job of that than 1492 does of capturing the essence of sea sickness and scurvy.

Looks like this is another where we need a person who didn’t vote in this poll to step in and break the tie.

1 Like

I can’t help it, there’s nothing I want more.

3 Likes

I would fight for you

Secondhand Lions was not good. Michael Caine, Robert fucking Duvall, Haley Joel Osment, and…welp.

1 Like

Countercounterpoint — Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge: ”I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

2 Likes

Your pony was eaten by a shark

What didn’t you like about it?

I’m afraid it’s been too long to detail a specific critique beyond “it was primarily framed as a comedy and never made me laugh once.” My expectation was that the core cast made for a slam dunk and then the experience didn’t measure up, and I love especially Caine and Duvall and was very hopeful about Osment coming out of The Sixth Sense.