GOAT Movie Themes - First Block of Round 3 Posted

Round 1, Block 6, Matchup 47

#23 Beautiful World (Utada Hikaru)

VS.

#106 Death is the Road to Awe (The Fountain)

#23 Beautiful World (Utada Hikaru) vs. #106 Death is the Road to Awe (The Fountain)
  • #23 Beautiful World (Utada Hikaru).

• #106 Death is the Road to Awe (The Fountain)

0 voters

Round 1, Block 6, Matchup 48

#42 O Brother Where Art Thou?

VS.

#87 That Next Place (Meet Joe Black)

#42 O Brother Where Art Thou? vs. #87 That Next Place (Meet Joe Black)
  • #42 O Brother Where Art Thou?.

• #87 That Next Place (Meet Joe Black)

0 voters

Can’t believe my girl is getting taken out like this but there was no shot against 007

Objection: La La Land is a musical

1 Like

It’s going to get curb-stomped if that makes you feel any better.

1 Like

Be comforted seeing it has no chance against the GOATAWEEN.

My pony is getting curb stomped.

1 Like

You’re a sicko if you vote against John Carpenter.

2 Likes

I realize that this is but a small trifle and not something many people are going to consider when voting in a “best themes” contest, but: the Beautiful Mind theme is better than the T2 theme.

2 Likes

I’ll listen again and reconsider :+1:

1 Like

I can’t fault the Chariots of Fire voters, it’s plainly the legendary song in its matchup and therefore has some claim to objective greatness. But the Cider House Rules theme is easily more actively pleasing to my ears. I could listen to that shit on a 10-hour loop.

2 Likes

Yeah, this did slip through the cracks. But as noted, the market is sorting it out. Halloween isn’t shipping the tourney or anything, but I’m glad it will get a little bit of a run.

1 Like

I listened again.

Listen, I love A Beautiful Mind and I love the score, but that T2 track is an instant banger.

It’s not an unreasonable vote. I’m not saying it was a “voting Spiderman over Lawrence of Arabia” situation by any means. T2 theme is solid. More than anything I just sighed and felt defeated before I even clicked on the videos because I knew full well that the contest was over when the names of the movies were attached to the videos.

1 Like

It’s my number one most played song. It’s the perfect song to listen to while working. It sucks that it got such a bad first round match-up.

1 Like

The T2 song is pretty mediocre over all, but that one 6-note part is so iconic I can’t vote against it.

2 Likes

I love the Chariots of Fire song. Fuck Tobey Maguire.

2 Likes

Did Tobey Maguire write the Cider House Rules theme and then get snubbed for the credit, or did perhaps another person entirely write it?

Fuck Tobey Maguire. Chariots of Fire hits me in the feels.

The movie is part of the soundtrack. You can’t totally divorce them.

If John Williams did the score to Sharknado, it still wouldn’t be an all time iconic soundtrack.

Cider House Rules is a great movie. John Irving is a great writer - and did an amazing job translating the book to a screen-play.