Funny Things You Thought Were True But Weren't

Thought for way too long that “Al Pacino” was one word and thus wondered what Mr. Alpachino’s first name was but was too embarrassed to ask.

3 Likes

Two things I thought when I was a kid:

1. Thought that if it was raining in my town, that it probably wasn’t raining in the next town over. As in the weather would literally obey the town borders.
  2. There was a guy who came to my kindergarten (or around that age) class and did a magic trick where he turned a nickel into a quarter. I spent the entire day wondering why he wasn’t doing that all the time and wanted to find one of those machines for myself for at least the next month.
4 Likes

As a kid I thought that euthanasia was “youth in Asia,” because of the propensity of Asian youth to commit suicide.

Until well into adulthood I thought that female dogs were literally “sprayed” (not spayed) with something to make them unable to conceive.

And one courtesy of my wife, who’s generally on point with her facts. There is a farmer’s market nearby that keeps a couple large turtles. She insisted that they can live to be 10 thousand years old.

3 Likes

Clipboard01

Ku … since when? I literally discovered this last week :astonished:

2 Likes

Yes, I remember several of us saying “Klu” when the whole conspiracy thing about Marlboro packs having three Ks came out.

I used to think the Underground Railroad was an actual underground railroad.

Like into adulthood.

5 Likes

Love this one. I thought the same thing, but when I was a kid. I vividly remember coming home from elementary school after first learning about Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. I ran upstairs and looked in every closet in our house hoping to find a secret passage to the tunnel.

1 Like

:joy:

Reminds me of my cousin who, like all of us in my family, was taught to believe in Santa Claus. My dad, who back then was ~300 lbs, actually dressed up as Santa one year and made a personal appearance.

He was in the 3rd grade getting into fistfights at school yelling “My parent don’t lie” before they had to pull the plug.

I thought the singer of “Virtual Insanity” was a black female until I saw the video.

Lol no way. I always thought it was Klu too.

Then again I shouldn’t be surprised a bunch of racist inbred morons can’t even get that right. It should be Klu.

When I first heard about 69-ing, I thought there was some numbered list of sexual positions.

4 Likes

I tried to French kiss my mom when I was a little kid because it had been explained to me that that’s what people do when they love each other. When she started laughing at me, I was like, “You don’t love me?” Question turned out to be too real.

I stayed up all night finishing up a paper in 11th grade that was already late and was on Ayn Rand merely because there was some kind of bullshit essay contest offered by the Objectivist Society to propagandize impressionable minds. My English teacher was a badass who was likely horrified by the subject matter so I believe it was her personal bias and not the fact that somehow a 17-year old used the word “torcher” twice in an AP English class that got my the bad grade. (I don’t remember the context; hopefully I was describing the experience of reading the book.)

2 Likes