Forward! Or: Andrew Yang Might Actually Be A Troll

Olerud played more games with Seattle than the Mets too.

what a headline

I love that this thread is about unironically throwing back every corporate media hit piece on this guy like you all didn’t watch them run this exact same playbook on Bernie.

He plans to make the people who own NYC pay for it. Can’t have that ldo.

2 Likes

For sure. The yang hate is really weird. He seems like a totally decent guy with generally good policy ideas. He isn’t as left as I would like but he is hardly the evil person people itt are pretending.

3 Likes

I was very confused when people here bought the ‘Yang is out of touch’ story when he made a quip about how hard it was to have two small children, one of whom is autistic, underfoot in a 2 bedroom apartment while he was trying to work from home because of the pandemic. LOL wtf. That’s so many families in NYC it’s unreal. That was him being insanely relatable to the typical New Yorker.

Anybody know why Mike Bloomberg never made a quip about how hard it was to have small children in a small apartment in NYC?

Just a bunch of people here uncritically swallowing propaganda about a guy they’ve done zero research on because the first time they heard about him from the same people it was also negative (and played for laughs which is fucked up when someone shows up with seriously better ideas). These same people unironically post bad media takes in a dedicated thread on this site.

When the media goes after leftist candidates the appropriate sized grain of salt to take it with is boulder. If you didn’t learn that from the Bernie coverage alone I can’t actually help you. And make no mistake telling NYC’s rich people that NYC is going to fund itself through property taxes is very leftist and will get you the full treatment. That shit is popular and could actually happen.

6 Likes

I think the unrelatable part was when he moved to his 2nd house upstate due to the issues he was having with his kids in apartment. I don’t think that applies to a large number of New York families.

1 Like

It applies to a large number of Manhattan/Brooklyn families though.

I think some of the dunking on him is deserved, but at the same time I’m guessing he’s way better than whomever he’s running against, esp since we’re talking about NY.

It’s a shame he doesn’t understand that pretending to be a fan of every single NY team is not only transparent, but makes him look like another fake ass politician who is at least out of touch with sports fans. I don’t even think he is fake when it comes to having principles and convictions, but being fake in other ways makes voters question that.

He seems to be very in touch with the property owners of NYC.

1 Like

Good policy ideas relevant for being the mayor of New York City? Or good policy ideas at the national level, for which NYC mayor would be a useful stepping stone? I think this article is pretty timely:

As mayor, Yang would have to figure out how to get lead paint and mold out of the city’s public housing system, how to design safer streets, how to make the buses run more efficiently, how to collect garbage, how to assign children to public schools and operate them fairly, how to manage the paramilitary known as the NYPD, and what to do with the atrocity known as Rikers Island. And, for all the talk of his ideas, he has not shown that he has thought very much about any of those parts of the job. This is a man who once said he would be able to wrest control of New York City’s subway system back from the state simply because he’s friends with the governor’s brother.

2 Likes

That’s a fair critique although political ambition is sort of requirement number one for a politician.

NYC Mayor is an interesting role because its the most high profile municipal job in America. So it attracts political climbers, but at the same time it is still a muni job and has muni concerns. Its arguably more important to have a mayor that will make sure the garbage gets picked up and the busses run on time than it is to have a mayor that is a visionary leader with big policy ideas.

Who itt thinks he’s evil?

Watevs

That just puts Yang in company with like 95% of the world’s population.

1 Like

oh ok so “people itt” was just one person, got it. You know you can ignore him and the 4-5 posts he’s made in this thread in the last 4 months if it bothers you that much knowing he doesn’t like Andrew Yang

You don’t like the guy either and for similarly shallow reasons. Post a few of the many many many good takes he posts and I’ll believe you’re doing more than copypasta’ing in bad anti Yang takes that are carbon copies of the anti Bernie/AOC takes we’ve seen for the last three years.

Honesty the reason I don’t post in this thread is that I know for a fact I’m a much worse spokesman for Andrew Yang than Andrew Yang and representing him I’m probably harming more than helping since generally he’s already answered whatever point the other poster is making much better than I can if they could be bothered to actually use Google. Maybe after he’s mayor of NYC and people are forced to take him very seriously.

One thing you should know though is that this dude has, incredibly, been treated more unfairly than Bernie has by the media. Which is very hard to do I’m aware. I’m not talking about an imaginary leftward slant in the media I’m talking about the centrist/establishment slant who really really do not like Yang’s ideas at all.

He’s got the most realistic set of plans for how we could dig our way out of the hole the Boomers have put us in, and it’s not a particularly friendly vision for huge megacorporate rent seekers. He’s going to get fucked with a lot and that fact needs to be clearly visible to you as you read articles about him by people who know their bosses will appreciate yet another nothingburger Yang hit piece.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/patkiernan/status/1384110763883696134

https://twitter.com/patkiernan/status/1384114814021111817

He’s not making the wealthy pay for it you fool

1 Like

I guess we’ll add property taxes (which are wealth taxes it’ll surprise you to know) to the list of things you don’t understand but are confident enough to be toxic about.

1 Like