Forum maintenance - Nov. 29

There will be extended forum downtime Sunday morning, November 29th, eastern time. Whatever you used to do on Sunday mornings before UP existed, plan on doing that again for another hour or two. Read on if you care about the details, or just hit the X top right on this banner and sleep in that day.

• First thing that will be happening is rolling back the election upgrade. We’re back to normal traffic levels and we don’t need all that horsepower any more.

• Second thing will be adding some block storage, because we’re getting low on disk space.

• Third and biggest thing will be moving the hosting from my personal account to a team account. That will give the treasurer the ability to pay the hosting bill directly and make it a lot easier for people to rotate in and out of admin roles.

• Fourth thing, since I’m already doing all that I’m going to go ahead and upgrade the server to the most recent LTS release too (Ubuntu 20.04 if you must know).

• Once all that’s done I’ll still have some fiddling to do to bring everything back online.

Part of these changes will mean changing our IP address. DNS propagation usually happens in a matter of minutes for most people, but it might take a lot longer for some.

I don’t know exactly how long the whole operation is going to take. Best guess is an hour or two. I will post meaningful updates on the admin twitter account if/when I have them. If it seems like we’ve been down for an unreasonable length of time, check there for an explanation.

8 Likes

Most things seem to be working, I think?

9 Likes

Thank you zz.

Haven’t noticed any problems.

Thanks for keeping the ship running.