Fall LC thread

A co-worker just gave me a very funny look.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/KleptocracyIntv/status/1182292820150890510

1 Like

This should be a federal law

2 Likes

Do No Evil…

Well maybe a little bit of evil…

Fine we’re evil but we need that money bitch.

It donates to such groups, people close to the company say, to try to influence conservative lawmakers, and – most importantly – to help finance the deregulatory agenda the groups espouse.

A spokesperson for Google said it sponsored organisations from across the political spectrum that advocate for “strong technology policies”.

Big fires in LA now (San Fernando Valley). It was windy as hell yesterday. Wind almost blew me (carrying a solar panel) into a skylight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamcbest/status/1182695080362164226

I want to tackle him so badly.

The lucky unemployed people aren’t paying any income tax. The really lucky homeless people don’t pay any real estate tax and hardly even pay any sales tax.

Thanks. If you can’t tell from my post count, I’m off the roof today.

2 Likes

Most of the 1% probably does have a higher effective tax rate than the bottom half of US households. Households that make mid hundreds of thousands in salary are going to be taxed quite a lot, probably an appropriate amount. The tax rate of the 400 richest families in the US is a much different question than the rate of the top 1%. Husband and wife physicians pulling in 600k are paying a much higher rate than both Warren Buffet and his secretary.

Yeah this. And the correct response to that is either “good” or “they still don’t pay enough” depending on the income bracket and effective tax rate we’re talking about, rather than booing and pretending it’s not true and saying “Donald trump doesn’t pay any taxes”

Right, and Paul was clearly talking about the part of the 1% that actually pay income tax. Not the super rich like Romney and the super duper rich like Buffett. Which is probably a conscious dodge, but who knows. The View ladies needed to do a better job following up and differentiating between the parts of the 1% that pay appropriate taxes and those that don’t.

Nice try Bette, should have gone with ‘trimathlete’.

Yeah taxing capital gains differently than regular income is massive bullshit. Also we need to tax something other than income. I’m fine with a VAT tax like they have in Europe (which doesn’t raise prices by as much as the actual VAT %… and if 100% directed into social programs can still be net progressive) or a wealth tax although I think a wealth tax is hard to enforce and probably illegal (unfortunately, I’d love to be wrong about this).

Income tax hits people who work for a living hard. Working people already pay wealth taxes on their homes in the form of property tax. The upper middle class are easy to move to the polls through anti tax rhetoric because they feel like they are being taxed unfairly, and to a significant extent they are right. The very very wealthy pay way less in taxes than we upper middle people do, and we pay massively more in taxes than the lower classes do as well.

This countries government should be funded by the people who own it IMO. They are the biggest beneficiaries of the whole system and honestly should kick in a bit more than their share of the total tax revenue. That would require a massive tax increase on the very very wealthy. I don’t much care how we do it, only that we do. If they don’t like it we need a mechanism for cutting them off from the US market. I’m guessing most of them value their US based income streams more than they care about the taxes they pay on those assets and income streams.

I thought that we as a nation had agreed to pretend that the Paul family wasn’t a thing.

If the right-wingers weren’t dumbasses they would be more offended by the “you should be nice to each other” people. “We should all be nice” is partly an expression of fear of the left that that class of people has, but it’s also very patronizing of the right.

(and I’m sure they’re wrong about the bills. I don’t deal with PG&E much, but the utilities sometimes use an estimated read for your power instead of reading it each month, but they true it up later.)

Kind of weird to dislike the income tax and want to replace it with either a wealth tax or a consumption tax. A consumption tax is basically an income tax where the tax rate on investment income is zero percent.

I’m south of the 118 freeway, and everyone north was evacuated last night. Half my daughter’s classmates were under mandatory evacuation. I’m not worried about it because Northridge is for earthquakes, not fires, but my daughter and wife were freaking out all night. I’m trying to sleep and my wife (who was off today anyway) is rushing around the room “packing valuables.”

At 6am I finally get to sleep when my daughter wakes me up to tell us–half glad, half terrified–that school has been canceled and surely this is Armageddon.

My job is a few miles away and it’s closed for the day because of the smoke, but I go in for a little bit to get some stuff done, and in the ultimate troll, I turn on the car and hear Chaka Khan’s Through The Fire. There is freakin’ ash falling on the windshield.

2 Likes

The air is kinda bad even here in Manhattan Beach. I believe the local elementary schools are keeping kids inside for recess.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1182715748315209728

Jane Fonda still protesting in 2019!

shep smith done at fox news