Fall LC thread

Hard to imagine someone buying a coffin for a kid that was alive. I did know an old guy who was a reverend and believed in the importance of having a very good coffin to preserve his body for judgement day or whatever and he owned a coffin for himself.

Dunno how it is for other religions, but for Catholics in this country the coffin/vault/burial plot industry is one of the scammiest, stupidest and downright evil piles of horseshit I’ve ever seen. And that’s not even touching on the rest of the wake and funeral nonsense.

3 Likes

I just want to be put in a burlap sack and rolled into a hole. Probably illegal to do that so I don’t have any confidence in my family actually doing that. Sad!

The Catholic Church is the single most destructive institution in human history. It’s existence sickens me, like legit makes me physically ill to think about.

3 Likes

Potato sack, right?

10 Likes

You can make your own funeral arrangements before you die. And if you think you might be getting close you really should. It’s kind of a dick move to dump the responsibility on your survivors.

My Dad’s side of the family has the tradition of no funerals and people being cremated and stashed in a box in a garage. My Mom’s side had burials and funerals. Guess which side of the family was close and people actually liked each other and which was pretty full of dysfunction and hate. I’ll just spoil that - the side with the funerals is the hate side of the family. It’s almost like a big funeral is some kind of vengeance.

1 Like

Shouldn’t even have to get BIG CEMETERY involved at all, just rent a backhoe and put me in the back yard. Thanks Obama.

1 Like

I was thinking of posting something like this only my body being dumped at a Trump golf course.

You can chalk up the variance for prayer results to god’s ineffability, and the power of prayer is non-falsifiable. It’s something else entirely when you choose to believe the earth is flat.

1 Like

A wee change of topic… :joy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TothsTweets/status/1198959165542195203

1 Like

Probably should be excised to the religion thread, but intercessory prayer from the common conceptions of God is falsifiable for the most part. To make it completely non-falsifiable, adherents have to add all kinds of caveats that move further and further away from the god they claim to believe in.

A Trump-supporting friend had a backhoe all ready to go when I nearly passed out for no apparent reason at his fairly remote house. And I’d be ok with that, I guess. Thanks, Obama!

1 Like

When I was a kid, the idea that prayer possibly had some non-trivial real-world impact was just part of the warp and weft of things, so it’s not that immediately jarring that there are still people who believe it. But the Flat Earth is something we grow up with as this canonically discredited idea - people have invented myths overstating how widespread it used to be, so popular is the tale - so it gets much more of a double-take. “I still believe that thing you’ve always known people believed” vs “I’ve come to believe the thing you grew up being told only idiots believed and even that was hundreds of years ago”.

I really need to rewatch the Sopranos. It’s been like 10 years, and that show still has a pretty good case to make for best show of all time.

It’s easily the best show I’ve ever seen. I probably rewatched 3 times beginning to end. The episode where Livia dies is one of my favorites.

Yeah I saw you’d pre-empted it once I posted it. To delete my flawless prose would be to wound the world, however.

Not really - it’s just a matter of how hard you want to look for or ignore evidence.

I recall a study that showed a very mild negative correlation of outcomes where the patient knows they’re being prayed for - like it’s added pressure. There’s some showing positive, too (people care about me!) so I mean I guess we can say the power of prayer is unlikely to be clinically significant.