English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

I want to say that the Dempsey thing was in part because the prem’s presence in the US was bleak until NBC television took it over from Fox in 2013 which I think corresponded with Dempsey’s season at spurs, but I just did two minutes of due diligence and looks like NBC might have started the year after. Regardless, american interest in the prem (which imo was very low in the 90s & 00s save casual awareness of united) started legit improving around when Dempsey was somehow not embarrassing himself in england. Lots of reasons for that; three of them were the NBC contract (they broadcast way more games and used uk announcers), the rise of FIFA (the video game not the racketeers), and a sudden really good really weird influx of foreign youth soccer coaches who knew what they were doing way more than your buddy’s dad coaching the local club team with a whistle and orange slices and good intentions and a yankees cap

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TobesLeroney/status/1557037548161171456?s=20&t=0d21ZhorlVoiXgMgadoFAA

Really nice day for Adams for Leeds. Aaronson too.

1 Like

Rangers and Celtic relying on 2nd/3rd tier USMNT players is something I really want to troll Marty about.

2 Likes

When I started watching EPL it was after a WC and Spurs had a bunch of dudes I knew. Crouch and Lennon Dawson rose dafoe

Maybe year 13 will bring a trophy for me

2 Likes

lol plastics keep plasticking.

From a yard out you’ve put it onto the side bar.

In my defense, I only started liking them because a grocery bagger told me I looked like Edin Dzeko. I had no idea they would turn into the Lakers.

I should probably swap - I enjoyed watching Brighton beat United the other day. I read they’re owned by a sports bettor / poker player - he an OK dude or secretly a monster?

It’s even referenced in all or nothing jal.
Explicitly so.
We were in danger of not setting Arsenal records, but PL records.

Glad you’re in a good trolling mood today though, mind trying not to be yourself though?

dugarry gif

1 Like

lol no.

This is you paraphrasing from memory and getting it horribly wrong again. Losing your first three games (two of them against top three sides) does not amount to the worst form for 100 years.

Lol that’s not what I was referring to.
It was finishing 8th twice in a row and missing Europe entirely, and the run from the end of Emery to beginning of Arteta, not a 3 game run. That was referenced in AON.

That’s why I said years of Spurs finishing 4th to 6th and Arsenal being worse.

I’m embarrassed for you dude.

“Finishing 4th to 6th and not being competitive while Arsenal were in the worst form in 100 years but still actually won things isn’t something to brag about.”

When I’m referencing arsenal winning trophies why would you think it is referencing last season, a year arsenal did not win anything?

focus on the fun stuff, bros. no boof

1 Like

Save your embarrassment for yourself. I know you’re a newb to football etc but not knowing your claimed club’s history is hopeless. Now go and look at the mid/late 70s after the double-winning side was disbanded, much of the 80s, and even some of Graham’s tenure (you may have heard of him, idk).

It’s why most long time supporters are more sanguine about the recent lack of success (cups aside) than new fans like yourself.

massive lol at this stupid gatekeeping. Go look at shit from 50 years ago give me a fucking break.

1 Like

For sure. Just look at the last 5-6 years when arsenal and Man U keep sucking. It’s beautiful.

2 Likes

I mean, I’ve supported Arsenal since I could kick a ball.
Longer than almost all of the Arsenal players have been alive, so I imagine he’s chiding our young players who have been in the academy from age 5 for their bandwagon tendencies.

Jalfrezi is what is wrong with any hobby, massive gatekeeping and fans like him keep their likes from being successful/mainstream.

Metallica chiding their fans for having this attitude towards new fans with their Stranger Things bump showed how good, honest people react in these situations rather than petulant, hateful people.

Arsenal has gotten better for match going of late according to people because there are less people like Jal attending games and more “newbs” who are loud, passionate and actually like the club. Spending years trolling an online message board with barely 100 active users, what a life.

I’d add this one isn’t true. Plenty of Australians circa late 90s and early 00s based their fandom on various Australian players because of the golden generation and exceptional coverage by SBS here (seriously, 6 straight hours of football coverage on a Sunday was dope) plus a live premier league game and some UCL every week (one mate picked Blackburn because of Brett Emerton, that’s a bad beat).

The Australian Premier League generation did arrive earlier and end earlier than Dempseys did for Fulham though.

Shame there is literally one teenager at Fulham the only Aussie in the league.

1 Like

Im jonesing for some footy!

Leeds have some minnow, then chelsea on match-day 3 lol

1 Like

Let’s do it Leeds and Leicester

yikes real close to a red for Leeds

AMERICA UNITED IN THE EPL

AMERICA UNITED IN THE SPL