English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

It’s an interesting situation for SP. In their boots do you try to score, when two away goals still win the same as if you hadn’t scored? If you park the bus will you survive the 90 minutes? Very risky.

1 Like

Things looking up.

Geez arsenal I was making coffee & the goal I see is chopped off and missed the actual goal and penalty, slowdown lol.

1 Like
1 Like

Can one of you who actually follows football closely explain to me Arteta’s incredibly fast rise from player to manager of a top club.

I wouldn’t even call it incredibly fast for modern sports anymore. You look at the German top flight, the best managers are even younger. Nagelsmann is 33. American leagues have started to hire younger guys rather than recycling the same 10 coaches who are all using their same ideas from 1999.

I like Arteta, he’s clearly very intelligent. When you listen to his interviews, he knows the game very well. Does this mean he or Arsenal will be successful? No, the PL has a ton of other great managers and clubs with near infinite money.

It’s not so much the age as it is how quickly after he was done playing. Nagelsmann looks like he didn’t really even play and focused on coaching since ~'08. So, he had a good bit of time to learn to become a coach before he got the Leipzig gig. And that still at least a step below Arsenal.

Well, Arsenal almost hired him over Emery right after Wenger but got cold feet over his lack of experience.

Grading a coach is obviously tough. The most important stuff on the training ground we don’t see. I think Arteta could be better at substitutions, but I have very few problems with him overall.

The salient points are that he’s an ex Arsenal player who understands the club, which helps, and was Peps understudy.

He was highly regarded at City, but appointing him as a manager was understood to be high risk because of his lack of experience. The Emery period was unsatisfactory and although Anceolotti was in the frame they took the bold decision of going with a younger man with more potential upside (and potential downside), which only makes sense if they stiock with the plan and give him enough time to learn on the job.

Some of his team selections (and a lot of his substitutions) have been poor but hopefully he will learn from those mistakes. Some have been good, too.

My concern is that he goes the way of Emery - fear of losing his job after a poor run causing him to abandon his values in favour of total pragmatism.

But even getting to be Pep’s understudy was pretty nuts. To just go from playing to that seems like he bypassed a lot of the normal development.

Not so much. Even at top clubs most assistant managers don’t go on to become successful managers, or don’t even go into management. It’s not an assumed progression like in other jobs.

Many PL clubs with a foreign manager appoint a club stalwart as assistant to keep some sort of continuity, not because he’s a tactical wizard or a coaching genius.

OK. Well, I don’t know shit, so I’ll take your word for it. Still feels weird, though.

Wengers assistants had been Steve Bould and before him Pat Rice, neither of whom showed any interest in becoming first team managers.

Mourinhos Chelsea chose an ex player as his assistant, as did Ferguson at United.

Whether it’s good or not it stems from the desire to instil “club values” into players.

As their first post playing job? Genuinely asking. I’ve got no idea about these assistants.

Not quite, no. Steve Clark went straight into an AM role at Newcastle first.

There’s no obvious career path for a player wanting to get into management other than doing his coaching badges and taking charge of the youth teams, which isn’t about getting results so much as developing young players, before taking an AM position.

Assistants are often there not for tactical advice but for moral support and to do the dirty business of shouting at players at half time lol. I doubt that was the case at City but it certainly was at Arsenal.

Com’on the hoops

Pish

Pure pish

1 Like

What is this Super League bullshit?