English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

yep we suck and are deservedly relegated. However this is not the worst situation we’ve been in in my fifty years of supporting this fucking club when we’ve gone down before. Hopefully the ownership situation gets sorted quickly and we bounce back. Unfortunately I’ve supported this club for over fifty years and know this isn’t the Leeds way.

1 Like

Will Luton be playing their home games in another stadium?

Think they would have survived with Marsch?

I blame the Yanks.

No.

Kenilworth is a joke of a stadium. When I was young I used to go to some Reading home games and despite being in the old fourth division they’d get more than 20,000 for top of the table clashes. Kenilworth Road’s capacity is just 10,000.

Now the club has to spend £10M just to bring it up to PL standard, mainly for broadcasting, just so they can get relegated again and get the parachute payments, probably.

No. We would have survived if he’ed been fired during the WC. I think we also would have survived if Adams had stayed fit.

Aaronson’s relegation clause activated. He’s off.

McKennie back to Juve.

1 Like

While they definitely dropped hard after Marsch left, it really was Adams injury that fucked them. Exposed their awful D.

Hopefully these guys land somewhere decent where they get to play often.

Looks like they are going to land in the championship.

Bit harsh. The yanks there are ok for bottom half PL clubs.

If someone will give them their money back for Aaronson, I think they will take it. Weston is going back off loan and Tyler Adams is definitely too good for the Championship.

1 Like

Aaronson has a release clause, he’s gone. Adams is the only one without a release as far as I can tell.

sorry got carried away with a long post about idk arsenal and other afflictions, hiding it below to be neighborly

I almost never bet sports because I’ve got no edge but for some reason I took a preseason flier on southampton + leeds + bournemouth to be relegated. NEVER AGAIN! But part of that bet was an emotional hedge for leeds and at least they seemed better than advertised, had their share of tough luck.

Arsenal were also way better than advertised and imo deserved to be top of table for so long. They played fun attractive football. I hate them like a stepbrother but can really only think of a couple games where they took unjust points (@ leeds being the big one)—and that’s hugely to Arsenal’s credit. They should feel awesome about their year and about returning to the CL so convincingly.

They also collapsed. It’s not semantics; they were eight points clear in mid-march and ended up ten points behind. Yes they had key injuries—as if coping with injuries isn’t one of the major challenges of winning the league. Yes they had a really difficult run-in—as if everyone hadn’t been pointing at their difficult run-in since last August. Yes, even in their collapse they still played pretty well against the best teams—as if not letting down vs the worst teams isn’t part of winning a 38-game season. And yes City is the best team in the world by a mile and their B team could compete for top-four. As if that isn’t one of the biggest reasons why this is so freaking hard! I keep hearing it wasn’t a collapse because City outspends everybody? Haha ok, I guess I’ll just wait here until everyone starts giving Spurs sympathy for getting outspent by every big club forever while still finishing t4 so often

But I do sympathize with arsenal. It sucks to run out of steam at the end of a great run, it feels like the achievement is diminished all out of proportion. And goddamn, it’s really hard not to collapse in a marathon against a terminator. Arsenal ran a great race. And now they are roadkill, a clot of arteta’s hair on the highway. Hopes and memories turned to garbage. Welcome. You had excellent reasons to die like that. The dead often do. You were up five points on city with nine games to go. And in those nine games you went 3-3-and-3 and lost fifteen fucking points and that sound in the background is every other concrete hotel in Miami doing their best You imitation

City are incredible. Invincible maybe. Oo bad choice of words. Indomitable. Resplendent. They’re a joy to watch but they’re so well-managed and they cheat so hard that I can almost sympathize with arsenal, and completely understand why neutrals were pulling for them, as I’m sure arsenal fans completely understand why it was then so funny for spurs fans to watch those neutrals recoil in horror trying to root for arsenal during those last nine games as they got outpointed not just by city but by ten whole other teams including noted juggernauts Fulham, West Ham, and Wolves. Of course it was a collapse. It’s on the arsenal list. May I recommend control-F?

If it’s any consolation, it is profoundly lame that by far the best moment for spurs this year was arsenal’s losing 4-1 to city. Though I guess you felt the same way about, say, the spurs CL final. A final that’s now ancient history, and a final where Kane was injured and more one-footed than ahab, though no one remembers that part or cares.

Arsenal should feel terrific about where they are—a young talented side who have a shot at a real run on the world’s stage. But the reasonable arsenal fans might remind the other ones—meaning the other 80% who are super loud and online—to pause and reflect about how fantastic Spurs fans felt in 2015 when we thought it was the beginning of a golden era, but it turned out that Right Then was as good as it was ever gonna get. There are a million reasons why, but the big one is that premier league is really hard. It’s more than just City. The league is a howling hellmouth made of coins & cleats & arabian bone saws. Chelsea just disappeared a billion pounds into it and they are still spiraling into the kuiper belt. And I hope city win the ockfuckingtuple because they aren’t going to let up until they do

Spurs? Fuck that, they’re a circus of the damned. And I’ll be back every year bc I’m stuck, but this year was bad. And yet, if Bissouma and especially Bentancur didn’t get hurt then Spurs are at least in europa league. And I don’t even know how to feel about that. Maybe a break from europe is a good thing. As far as new managers, I’m rooting for Ange, hard, but I have no clue. I was a fan of neither the Naglesmann nor the Slot vibes, but I’ve got no clue. And I’m convinced by baids that money conquers vibes. There’s still talent at Spurs. They just need to all cultivate an addiction to Exlax and play with more personality and courage. This whole last year when everyone was ridiculing spurs for being unwatchable I was always tempted to counterargue with But But But we’re still scoring more goals than you…but I could never pull the trigger because even when spurs were scoring goals and even when their games were weird and weirdly thrilling, they were still unwatchable. Conte was a sunken-eyed lich emperor but his suicide rant was spot-on and very funny.

what to do with Harry? Idk, ankles willing he’s going to age well, I think 2 or 3 more years of near peak and another 3-5 more of still quite good. It’s usually a terrible idea to sell your all-time talisman near his prime unless you have a SUCH a good reason. If I were United I’d be breaking the bank for him. And if that happens then good luck Harry Kane: you are still underrated, one of the best all-arounders in the world, and it sure seems like you’re a far better guy than you get credit for.

And if Spurs let him go on a free next year? Then I’ll conclude once and for all that I don’t know shit about shit and something in me will quietly die. Anything but that, Levy.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1664216225109377025

Apparently without the knowledge of other board members on the company that owns Elland Road. One off which is part of the, and there to oversee, the 49ers consortium interests.

Turning into a shitshow which is the Leeds way

1 Like

Benzema with the 2yr/400 mill deal to the saudis… modric apparently turned a similar one down…

i wonder if this will become a big enough thing that it starts to really hurt the MLS? if all the aging stars do their last tour in Saudi rather than the US will that cut the MLS’s viewership/ratings…

I recently found out the soccer leagues in the USA are based purely on wealth and not promotion/relegation and I’m extremely not interested in that

1 Like

Salary caps are an actual much bigger deal vs Europe. Can’t pay your way to victory as much.

Yeah, the USA teams are brand new.

No one is creating a team if you’re just going to suck.