English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

I’ve always just sorta liked sterling dude has a smiley face or cheeks or something

1 Like

can’t disagree. Thought bentancur had a good first half hour and was getting no help. Romero had a couple hiccups (and can he get a retroactive red?) but was overall solid as per usual. Also wrt to what you said before about emerson & sess, the ways they’re weak are super visible & problematic (especially in conte’s system) but a counterpoint is that they both are really responsible defenders, sess’s defensive numbers last season were low-key monstrous

Have you seen the full replay of the incident now?
Tuchel also getting a red is ridiculous.

I almost typed Romero was good, then remembered Havertz and Sterling got between/behind him and just missed sitters.

CN about lloris, yeah his sweeper keeper days are definitely done, and he doesn’t cut angles the same way as most world-class keepers (I sorta remember reading an article on this in the last few years about how he makes an unusual style work in terms of tending to stay on his line more), but if I like matt turner as a shot-stopper (and I do!!) then I have to love lloris as a shot-stopper. But I’m also a big fan of how he’s handled his captaincy, like when he publicly dressed sonny down whenever that was for not getting back. Heh I’m guessing you like that part too, I mean how many times have you screamed at your mf to get back, like ninety thousand? But yeah stuff like hesitating and getting caught in no-man’s land in that play today are very bad

not at the end, but lol for you taking this seriously at all

If tuch wasn’t a ■■■■ and let the handshake go nothing happens ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

don’t start nuffin won’t be nuffin

it’s a good thing their grip strength was also a draw because otherwise that handshake could have turned into a real thanksgiving wishbone situation with one of them walking off the field with the clavicle of their enemy

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1558887911310884865?s=20&t=6fypSyhHUO7b7YAtS-54oQ

2 Likes

if I’m a chelsea fan I’m freaking out, they got the short straw on super important calls, and if they’re getting carried away a little it’s understandable

bentancur totally fouled Havertz, it’s a foul, it’s a bad no-call. But then arguing that the goal that happened fifteen spurs passes, nine chelsea touches, and 45 seconds later should be taken back? no that’s not how that works, lol Slendertuchel.

Worse example: romero, dude! A terrible indefensible play. Is it a red? is it a yellow? Beats me, but oh it’s a foul. Even given that he and cucurella had fouled each other twenty times in the buildup and even though romero was still vengeful about getting spiked by cucurella in the 10th minute in a play that I still haven’t been able to rewatch to assess if cucurella stepped on romero on purpose or if it was merely deliberate, and even though it happened vs 2020s sideshow bob and everyone understands how tempting it was, regardless, hair pulling is distressing, and if I were a chelsea fan this is the play that hurts because if something is called then the corner doesn’t happen and you get three points. It’s unjust! If it’s any consolation, Romero is absolutely going to do something deranged at the wrong time this year and it’s going to really hurt spurs. Good corner by Perisic btw.

But arguing that Richarlison should be called for offside? No sir. And all the Tuchel / Conte stuff, sure they’re both maniacs, but if we’re really going to break out the telestrator for each one of the interactions, then for me Tuchel comes off as consistently weirder. And his main argument is that Conte didn’t make eye contact?? Man, thank god they didn’t make eye contact. They definitely might have started making out. It was in the air!

in the big picture all that happened was two teams who don’t like each other played and it boiled over and then one team got screwed at the last second of a game where they deserved three points. If I’m a chelsea fan my lawnmower is hurtling by the moons of jupiter. But there will be a dozen games this season with results more unjust, and anyway, deserve’s got nothing to do with it. If I’m a neutral my main thought is, Sweet—now that’s a proper derby. And nobody asked but I’m fine with Tottenham getting a little edgier: everybody wants to ridicule spurs until the end of time for being soft and trophyless but god forbid that after decades of stick a team and a culture might tire of being the cutesy measley spursy punchline that everybody sentences to death by a thousand "lads it’s tottenham"s

2 Likes

gotta love it

1 Like

He also sprinted by conti after the second Chelsea goal

Hey I love it. More drama for next time.

It’s happened to Saka a few times and that Havertz play being officiated like that drives me insane. It’s against the spirit of the rules imo. Stuff like that where a defender gets the smallest of touches on a ball, but doesn’t change the trajectory, attacker is away into space or on goal then gets cleaned out shouldn’t be a clean tackle.

There are clean slide tackles where you clean out the attacker, but that wasn’t one imo even if by the rules it is thought of as such.

saving this one for some perfect future moment

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

:soccer: :soccer: :vince1:

2 Likes

mischief managed for Tottenham. No further questions.

Shit I missed the NF gk wearing a hat like a damn moron

professional / conte-style win for spurs but they deserved to be down at HT, that first half was yuck. Thought Perisic was great today, Kane played well too, when he drops back and the wingbacks make runs off his ideas they are changed men

thought wolves looked pretty strong! their relegation odds are as short as +250 but that’s nuts, they’re not going down. Love Max Kilman for them. I read that his parents are ukranian and ukraine wants him for their national team, but when he was 18 he played matches for england’s national futsal team which cap-tied him to england “for all forms of football.” (Obv the US need to try to trick Alan Sonora into playing in some kind of foosball / subbuteo / rocket league tournament.) Looks like Kilman won’t make england’s WC team, slabhead survives again

1 Like