Energy bars for the rest of your life?

Food intake is surprisingly complicated topic in today’s society. Food is on one side a big joy in life on the other side a cause of a lot of anxiety and health troubles. It also takes a lot of money, energy and time. So if you had an option for the rest of your life eat an energy bar every meal and be done with it, would you take it?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

That means on one side no stress with cooking / finding a place to eat, no overeating because food plain does not provide any more joy, probably energy bars are cheaper that a food regiment you have now (I have no clue about energy bars). On the other side one source of joy less in your life + you have to think that you have to eat because the same way the joy disappears, hunger stops to be a pressing emotion. Basically life gets then less stressful but also less joyful.

Honestly I don’t think I could just eat a single bland food like that for any prolonged period of time.

6 Likes

Don’t we already have this option?

2 Likes

Joking, sort of. But not really because we already have that option, right? You can eat bland food and not worry about meal prep and all that. I’ve basically done that! I’m actually doing that right now, to get rid of my covid weight I’ve recently added.

The idea of not having to deal with buying food for the rest of your life would be more enticing to me than most of the forum. But I still snap said no.

Unless you made this energy bar the most fucking delicious thing.

Eating 95% potatoes for a couple of months didn’t eliminate joy from food at all for me. I still enjoyed eating and looked forward to it. It did make me more aware of my relationship with food and alcohol though.

1 Like

nfw

Variety is the spice of life and there’s no spice in a diet of food bars (even the ones with ginger).

2 Likes

the people at Soylent already stole your venture funding, sorry

1 Like

i don’t think you’re understanding: there are NO human remains in soylent. they cannot stress that more clearly.

3 Likes

Eventually once all the animal and plant food sources have been extinguished or captured for use by the 0.00001% we’ll all end up eating human remains, so you might as well start adapting now.

1 Like

Word up.

Centuries ago, people hated their tasteless food so much that they killed each other to see who would control the spice trade.

^^^

2 Likes

I actually have some experience with this as I was on an all liquid diet for 3 months several years ago, only drinking 6-8 meal nutritional beverages/day. It fucking sucked. You quickly miss the variety of food and having different flavors to enjoy. It quickly becomes a chore to choke down the same shitty tasting beverage for every meal. Yes, it’s easier than having to deal with figuring out actual meals, but it sucks on every other level.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m not saying I don’t enjoy food, but I think I’m pretty extreme on the it’s not that big a deal I can eat whatever spectrum and could live with just energy bars for quite a while. If they were cheaper I might.

This has prop written all over it. How long could you go? A year? What qualifies as an energy bar? Odds?

If I can make a living just by eating only energy bars, I’m retiring tomorrow. Line up the prop bets.

I bought a case of Soylent during black Friday deals a few years ago. It was chocolate and tasted pretty good actually. It was originally designed for programmers so they wouldn’t have to interrupt coding/work for food. It does free up your time, because you just go to the fridge and open a bottle and drink it. Done. However, I have enough free time to cook my own meals and actually enjoy it.

1 Like

Sounds like another possibility for a UP movie night.

Most of them are < $1/bar if you buy them by the case. I often have 2 for lunch when I’m working out in the sticks and there’s nothing nearby to eat.