Elon Musk: Proof that morons can become trillionaires

I am all for this. I mean the next Social Network in that I hope it resonates as deeply and widely. Aranofsky is, you must admit, a polarizing taste. Noah was great, but I’m stunned the studio gave him funding. Mother! was my first date with my significant other. I’ve returned to Requiem many times. But I also like incredibly dark weird shit.

I’d love if his Musk movie could be as dark as Requiem while being as accessible as David Fincher’s most popular work. To give a better parallel, maybe say I hope it’s the next Se7en instead of Social Network.

1 Like

Hmm. Anyone having trouble seeing the article might try Vance’s link.

https://x.com/ashleevance/status/1721887664847409371?s=20

1 Like

The philosopher Paul Churchland briefly discusses computer-brain interfaces in his 1984ish book Matter and Consciousness. It struck me as one of the more superficial aspects of the book, because it wasn’t clear what you could get by jacking some extra electricity into a big ball of neurons, when we don’t really understand how the brain encodes information anyway (at least at a level where you could add targeted supplemental information).

Brain-machine interface is just an obvious sci-fi thing to think about, like human flight or invisibility, but everything is in the details, and I see no evidence that this is anything other than a standard pie-in-the-sky Elon idea made “real” with money. I doubt we will have any non-therapeutic brain-machine interfaces this century. The details of how a system might operate are well beyond current understanding.

1 Like

Thanks. Considering that Elon, like all dumbass conservatives, thrives on both fawning attention and asserting that they are victims, he kind of can’t lose here. When you’re that much of a narcissist then any kind of attention feeds the beast.

Thanks. Sounds like Elon’s timeline is unrealistic as usual, but I admit it also sounds like they’re making progress on something real. Even if all that comes of it is that people can think-move a cursor, that will be infinitely more than I expected from an Elon company.

Noninvasive techniques seem to be good for this so I have to assume Elon’s ambitions go far beyond this sort of thing.

https://twitter.com/RuohanZhang76/status/1720525179028406492

The Neuralink electrodes are different from the Utah array approach (patented in 1993! :mechanical_arm:) and have some advantages but idk if it will ultimately turn out to be better. @simplicitus Understanding exactly how the brain does things isn’t necessarily required? I think the hope is the brain just figures it out, similarly to how it learns to interpret input from the eyes or ears.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MrDrewLandry/status/1723033285456986267?t=0uqwmzUFfw4N_IGO9QWrLg&s=19

7 Likes

Musk’s heavy involvement in scheduling resulted in “significantly more unsafe working conditions than would have existed otherwise,” said Moline, the engineer.

Muskified it for you.

10 Likes

None of the reporting on this Grimes custody thing makes any sense whatsoever. If a parent won’t let another parent see their kid, that’s called kidnapping. The cops get involved instantly. Amber alerts go out. They do not force you to “serve custody papers” like some kind of court summons to get your freaking kid back.

That’s not true at all. Custody fights are a civil matter.

So there’s an Amber alert when a father takes off with a kid, but if the cops catch him they just serve him papers and let him continue on to Mexico with the kid?

At any time a parent can just kidnap a three-year old from the other parent, and nothing happens until papers can be served and the civil courts sort it out months later? Other parent cannot see their own child until then? That seems dubious to me.

Parents running with kids rarely trigger an Amber Alert. Those are reserved for when the kid is believed to be in danger of imminent harm. Maybe if the dad threatened to kill the kid and did something else to make the threat credible.

2 Likes

At least one attorney in my state says parents taking kids are almost never prosecuted because there is a large loophole that makes proving a case difficult. His suggestion is to go to civil court and try to make sure the other parent doesn’t obtain the kid’s passport.

Same is true about a lot of reporting about Musk. The basic problem is you and I and most people think there are rules. In the Frontline story on Twitter, Isaacson says “Elon Musk has one rule that guides him, which is, never be constrained by the rules.”

1 Like

Good one chief

4 Likes

15 Likes

Take my ML model, please!

1 Like

Taste the bark, get it? Get it?

1 Like