El Sapo and RiskyFlush 1v1 Film War

Found it for free if you don’t mind watching some ads

https://www.crackle.com/watch/5654/2508088

1 Like

Also on Pluto.

And this is the last day you can get a free CBS all access trial.

This movie was enough to convince me Tobey could act.

It’s just so good.

A great performance from Katie Holmes, too. And RDJ really is hilarious.

May 24 Sun | 9 pm EST | JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO
The Film War machine is firing up again tonight for Joe Versus the Volcano.

Currently available on Starz.

This is El Sapo’s favorite movie of all time.

I haven’t seen this in many years. I saw it when it first came out and loved it. I saw it again ten or so years later and couldn’t understand what I’d ever liked about it. Now we’re many years onward again and I’m curious to see if my perspective has shifted again.

Good one for the How Did This Get Made? Podcast. Truly dreadful. Easily Hanks’ worst film, though perhaps not Meg’s. If this is really Sapo’s favorite movie oat and that was not a joke then I know he is safe to ignore for future recommendations

Not sure I’ll be able to make this one. I was planning on catching the 30 for 30 on Lance Armstrong on ESPN; I usually record that stuff though anyway because lolcommercials. But that movie would be hard to sit through again. Will be a game time decision.

You can watch that doc anytime. When else will you have the chance to hate something LIVE?

HDTGM is great. I will have to check out their episode on this one afterward.

This is really Sapo’s favorite movie. Hype.

This is truly my favorite movie of all time. And yes, I am well aware that most people who see it don’t just not like it, most truly hate it. Even Tom Hanks hates it, I hear.

The problem is that most people view this as a real movie. It was marketed by the studio as a romantic comedy, which helped kill it. If you go into this movie thinking it’s a RomCom with Tom and Meg, yes, you too will hate it.

Consider it something else. It’s a parable. A fairy tale. A work of art. I mean, it’s a live action film where the main charachter goes fishing and catches a stuffed shark. There are tons of cues that this isn’t a “real movie.” Don’t take it as such.

1 Like

Here is Roger Ebert on the film.

Gradually during the opening scenes of Joe Versus the Volcano , my heart began to quicken, until finally I realized a wondrous thing: I had not seen this movie before. Most movies, I have seen before. Most movies, you have seen before. Most movies are constructed out of bits and pieces of other movies, like little engines built from cinematic Erector sets. But not Joe Versus the Volcano . It is not an entirely successful movie, but it is new and fresh and not shy of taking chances. And the dialogue in it is actually worth listening to, because it is written with wit and romance.

1 Like

I am looking forward to the dialogue. Tom and Meg are delightful together in all movies.

LOOK AT THE CAST:

Joe: Tom Hanks
Patricia/Angelica/Dede: Meg Ryan
Graynamore: Lloyd Bridges
Dr. Ellison: Robert Stack
Chief Of The Waponis: Abe Vigoda
Waturi: Dan Hedaya
Luggage Salesman: Barry McGovern
Marshall: Ossie Davis

Every single one gives an amazing performance. Meg Ryan gives 1 amazing performance and two good ones.

1 Like

Honestly, the supporting characters give the best performances. The set design is out of this world. The philosophy and soul of the movie are true. It is replete with symbolism. It’s a story of awakening to life’s possibility.

It’s a cult classic. I long ago gave up expecting or hoping people would like it. A few love it, most hate it.

Ozzie Davis in the back of the limo with Tom Hanks is wonderful.

Here we gooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

omg the factory

volcano

1 Like

Watch for the crooked path imagery throughout the movie.

1 Like

download (3) download (2) download (1)

1 Like

Joe’s lamp, the images tell the story he’s about to experience.

1 Like

That’s neat!!!