Editing Dahl and others

It would be weird to edit the plaque if it had some racist term or wildly inaccurate fact in it?

This discussion deserves its own thread.

2 Likes

W/o wading into the details of this, it’s pretty common for later editions of books to edit out problematic bits from earlier releases.

It’s something I think about a lot in writing my book. I don’t want to put in anything that’s going to sound dated in 10 years.

1 Like

No, that would be perfectly cromulent, but it’s the opposite of what’s happening with Dahl. The racism is being erased to sell more books. The analogy would be removing historical facts from statues so that kids aren’t offended.

1 Like

From novels? Gonna need a cite on “pretty common” when the author is dead and can’t consent.

I wasn’t thinking about dead authors.

Read my post again with less knee jerk anger. I said removing historical facts, so what you’re saying doesn’t make sense.

Consent comes from the copyright holder in the estate, not from the author.

Legally but not morally. I don’t really care what the law has to say.

2 Likes

No. Just like a gallery choosing to not hang this painting or that painting isn’t censorship. Or a library choosing not to host a reading of James and the Giant Peach.

Then it sounds you’re manufacturing a situation out of thin air. What is a confederate monument with a historical fact that anyone wants censored?

This all seems like a distinction without a difference. So it’s fine if an owner of a piece of art decides not to display it, but shameful if he merely edits it? Same thing that tripped cassette up. What if I really like the painting but just want to scratch off the swastika in the corner?

If you own the painting you can do what you like. Just like I can edit my copy of Huckleberry Finn to my hearts content.

1 Like

Owning paintings is often a pretty bad idea seeing as how they’re often unique and usually created for everyone’s benefit…

I dont know. I someone made a well intended attempt to navigate that, then I wouldnt care either.

My point is less a defence of the Dahl decision, more a criticism of anyone who cares.

hey I didn’t make this world I just live in it.

Proplr arent mad that they are editing out things from the book. They are mad about the specifics of the editing, namely the removal of terms like fat and stuff. Its just more culture war bullshit.

1 Like

I’m not mad about the specifics of the editing. Neither is my main man Salbass, or the lady he quotes.

https://twitter.com/SuzanneNossel/status/1627066101309018112

Good tweet thread by the way. It eloquently summarizes my concerns.

Culture war isnt just the extremes.

People getting mad about a publishing decision in another country to a book that many either havent read, or certainly will never read again… of course its culture war.

A comment on the australian article about this said something like

“Its the same people who care about a few words for the Ab originals!” (Wierd spelling theirs not mine)

Do you think this person is legitimately concerned about literature?

Why shouldn’t people care? The idea of posthumously editing someone’s work seems like a terrible and upsetting precedent to me.

2 Likes