Editing Dahl and others

I think that Puffin reviewed/whitewashed the books because of the expected attention from the upcoming Netflix Dahl stuff.

Either way, sales have got to be through the roof right now. Good day for the Dahl estate.

3 Likes

So, nobody demanded it of them? There was no mob on the street requiring that this happen?
It was a business making a business decision right? Can we dispense with the idea that every time a company makes a change to “appease the woke mob” its really just a business trying to capitalize on market trends and not some evil cabalist empire screeching at said company until they get their way?

2 Likes

I mean I never claimed any of those things? Sure, dispense away. But censorship is still censorship if it’s being done at the behest of a corporation to try to maximize profit rather than the government trying to suppress dissent or some other motivation.

Im pretty sure the way we use censorship requires an authority to demand the censoring. Self censorship is not the same as the way you are using the word.

1 Like

So if Rushdie took this route it’s not censorship? The Ayatollah didn’t have any authority over Rushdie.

1 Like

Thats at behest of an authority (in this case the Ayatohla) in order to receive safety. You cant point to the same thing in the Dahl case or the Seuss case. Its the owner making a voluntary change that they make because they feel it will make the work better.

1 Like

OK let’s say the Dahl estate acquiesced to the changes at the behest of Puffin in order to receive money. The stakes aren’t the same but it’s pressuring to alter the work of an artist at the behest of an authority. Rushdie agrees and has some experience in this area.

That’s called selling out

1 Like

Right. Censoring your dead relative’s art against his artistic intent to get a bit more money. As Rushdie says, they should be ashamed of themselves.

2 Likes

Maybe they should be ashamed but it’s not censorship

Because the Dahl estate agreed to it? They’re not the ones being censored.

1 Like

No one in this situation is being censored.

I agree with Phillip Pullman

Lets get some new kids books on the go.

“That’s what I’d say. Read Phil Earle, SF Said, Frances Hardinge, Michael Morpurgo, Malorie Blackman. Read Mini Grey, Helen Cooper, Jaqueline Wilson, Beverley Naidoo.

“Read all these wonderful authors who are writing today who don’t get as much of a look-in because of the massive commercial gravity of people like Roald Dahl.”

Webb asked Pullman whether the books should still exist “in their original form” and be “allowed to fade away in people’s reading habits because they no longer reflect the modern world”.

“They’re not going to vanish because they’re still going to be around for years and years,” said Pullman. “They should be allowed to fade away. Let him go out of print.”

Is taking down confederate statues censorship?

2 Likes

Heritagenothate

Oh, good

Not sure if censorship, but editing the plaques on the statues to rewrite history would be weird and wrong, especially if the point was to sell more museum tickets or whatever.

2 Likes

He’s got a very creepy large age gap/grooming situation in his latest books that all the characters are totally cool with (professor and student, who have known each other since student was a toddler). Ruins them for me, and I’m a huge His Dark Materials fan

1 Like

Ah yes, we couldn’t possibly rewrite the indisputable historical fact that the secessionist slavers were actually heroes.

2 Likes